Global Shipping and new GST charge - the pain never ends.

Sigh, I just purchased an item from ebay.com as it is unavailable here in Australia.

Shipped via the Global shipping program so I’ve spent the last week watching the tracking take it all round the US. It hasn’t even left for Australia yet, so much for $50 worth of “Priority shipping” but worse, remember the new 10% GST, well, it isn’t.

10% of $400 is $40. Well, I got charged $56. That’s because they are levying a charge to collect the tax yet there is no way of knowing or checking if my money will ever be send to the Australian Government.

Such a scam, the Govt are stupid for thinking this will encourage shoppers to buy from sellers here in Australia.

the item I bought isn’t here in Australia, I would certainly rather buy from a shop here rather than spend more than 25% of the items cost just to get it.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

i fully understand your grief re GSP.

its well documented by many on the forum.

my advice is only buy from a seller using the GSP when you absolutly have no choice. (you can message sellers asking IF they will post NOT using the GSP, some will)yes, GSP is expensive, slow and sometimes Pitney Blows the company in the USA recieving and sending on parcels damage goods during the process)

items usually turn up, EVENTUALLY!

me, ive taken to using feedback to tell sellers how bad their postal service is as they wont listen to complaints otherwise. if i pay $45 postage for an item that ought to be less than half that and it arrives late and damaged by PB, i give poor feedback re postage plus say so in comments.

my purchasing from overseas (UK & USA) has dropped a lot since the GSP and now the GST have been put into the mix.

i realise to the sellers in the UK & USA paying a small charge to post an item to overseas seems great but they should be told the true cost the GSP tells their possible customers to pay.

so they know why when they list internationally they sell stuff all outside their own countys.

i have messaged a few sellers, and although they are gobsmacked at the price i'm being asked to pay they seem reluctant to quit the GSP. go figure that out?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

David, if you are leaving negatives for sellers who use the GSP then you are wasting your time.....ebay will remove it as the seller is not responsible.

Also, why would sellers opt out of the GSP......they get fully tracked and insured shipping and are protected from bad feedback from irate buyers.

There are definitely cheaper options from the USA using USPS with eDelcon but not so much from the UK.....there is no Royal Mail service that gives tracking, signed for and insurance to the standard required by paypal....you can have one or the other but not all of them.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

David, if you are leaving negatives for sellers who use the GSP then you are wasting your time.....ebay will remove it as the seller is not responsible.

Also, why would sellers opt out of the GSP......they get fully tracked and insured shipping and are protected from bad feedback from irate buyers.

There are definitely cheaper options from the USA using USPS with eDelcon but not so much from the UK.....there is no Royal Mail service that gives tracking, signed for and insurance to the standard required by paypal....you can have one or the other but not all of them.

i dont mention GSP in the comment, mearly say postage was very very expensive and very very slow.

then  i give 5 stars for item description and minimum for for postage.

havent been removed thus far.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

That is a bit unfair given that many, if not most, small sellers will not realise that their item will be sent this way. This kind of behaviour will just put overseas sellers off from selling overseas at all.

Latest reply

But they're not posting overseas, they are posting to Erlanger KY.

If they are opted into the GSP, they can have all the blocks on international purchases they like, but they will still sell international, just with US (or UK) delivery.

I am sure, if they started getting feedback specifically mentioning dave's concerns, they could get it removed. Given it is probably positive feedback, they probably don't even check the comments.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@maranock wrote:

That is a bit unfair given that many, if not most, small sellers will not realise that their item will be sent this way. This kind of behaviour will just put overseas sellers off from selling overseas at all.

how is it unfair, its every sellers duty to know what they are doing.

i as a buyer have the right to use the feedback system as its intended, to show how the service i got was.

i dont make it up, i dont give a neg on the whole deal, i give an honest opinion.

the item was exactly as described, but the postage was not.

i paid $45 for what was said to be the BEST available.

it was carp!

an item weighing less than 500grams, in a little padded bag, $45!

yes i agreed to it, only as the item is like a hens tooth, i cant just go to another seller, when one of these pops up you either pay or not.

but that shouldnt mean you get shafted, the item should for $45 been here in really fast time.

ive posted lots of items to the USA, 500grams would be under $20Aust, and would be delivered within 2 weeks!

with tracking!

overseas sellers need to learn if we get charged rediculous prices for delivery they will suffer if we get a raw deal.

i messaged a guy yesterday, he had a radio control car magazine i was interested in at $10US, but GSP wanted $25US ($32au postage!

he replied, he was suprised but wasnt going to do anything about it.

no i didnt buy it, dont want it that bad.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply