Guarantee on camera lens

If I purchase a camera lens and pay by Paypal, about $1,200, if it was not received do Ebay refund the money?

Does this apply to Australian suppliers/overseas suppliers?

If the lens is damaged on arrival, do Ebay guarantee a refund?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Guarantee on camera lens

Why wouldn't money be received! Unless you didn't send it. Paypal refund money not Ebay. Dont know about damaged item, maybe cross that bridge if and when you come to it.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Guarantee on camera lens

Hi Fishing; I think Michelle's reply may have grabbed the wrong end of the stick... Sorry Michelle!

You are wanting to buy a camera lens & pay by Paypal? Is this correct? You need to check seller feedback to see if they have sold similar items before to good result. Also read the entire description for the item & view all pictures.

If from overseas allow a suiable time for arrival. Check tracking of your parcel & etc. Due diligence on the buyer's behalf is mandatory. Go in with your eyes wide open & be aware of timelines & etc for Paypal claims in purchasing. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Guarantee on camera lens

You can also ask the seller how the item will be packaged. Just to allay any fears about breakages. Communication is the key. If spending that amount of money sight unseen;  I'd be asking a fair amount of questions prior to purchase. If at any point the seller makes you think twice via responses or lack of then back away quicky!

Cover your own behind firstly & always in any online purchase, especially one from Overseas; As I suspect this transaction may be.

Take time to find out how ebay & Paypal work, before contemplating spending such a large $ amount. Just my humble advice.  My feedback score is my buying / selling account. I do know how things work after so many years here.

If the offer seems too good to be true; It probably is & you may leave yourself open to a scammer. It's not as prevalent as one might think, & usually happens to those who don't give due diligence to their online purchases.

Michelle was correct in that Paypal is the refunder, not Ebay, should a trade using Paypal go pear shaped & your item not arrive. Hopefully it won't come to that for you. Just do your proper homework & all should be fine!

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Guarantee on camera lens

Just to correct a few points. PayPal will refund if you didn't receive the item only if the seller cannot produce a tracking number. If the item is tracked to within your postcode then the chances of them refunding are not so clear. You would then have to make a claim through the shipping company.

if your item is damaged then you woul need to take photo showing the damage. You may even be required to send item back to the seller before you are refunded by eBay.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Guarantee on camera lens

Even as a long term buyer and seller on ebay I would be very cautious of a transaction of that amount especially for something that could end up in you receiving a counterfeit item from overseas which you would have to prove was not what you purchased. You would also have problems if it became faulty after use, Paypal do extend buyer protection to 180 days but you would haver to prove it was a manufacturing fault.

The only way I would consider it would be if I funded the payment with a credit card that I knoe covers 3rd party payment transactions, that allowed claims up to 12 months and I ewas savinf enough money7 to make the risk worth it.

I would also not buy if there was any evidence it was coming from overseas in the feedback or shipping terms etc. if it was new I would want to make sure the seller was an Australian registered business with an ABN.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Guarantee on camera lens

Agree with PJ.

Camera equip is one of the highly used items for scam listings or hijacked accounts.

IMO, not worth the risk. Buy from a reputable store that HAS a guarantee. 

image host
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Guarantee on camera lens

Agree totally. I recently bought a new lens for my camera. It didn't work properly (lenses were sightly out of alignment or something). Took it back to the shop, showed them what the problem was, they replaced it on the spot.Total time taken, 10 minutes. Total stress level = 0.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply