Has anyone experienced international transaction fee on items purchased in AUD in Australia?

pupie07
Community Member

Has anyone experienced international transaction fees while buying in your own country and in your own currency?

Lots of vendors/sellers have warehouses in Australia but when you pay the transaction occurs overseas so you pay an additional transaction fee!

Very misleading!!!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Has anyone experienced international transaction fee on items purchased in AUD in Australia?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the seller is registered overseas then the money is going overseas and an interntional transaction fee is payable.

Some overseas sellers (read Chinese) will tell you the items are in Australia but they are not.....the items will take several weeks to arrive from overseas before being dispatched from a local address.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

If the seller has their account set up to collect money in any other currency but Australian dollars (ie if they've listed on ebay.com) then yes you will pay international transaction fees.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It's not right though that the seller advertises in AUD, lists the item location as local (Australian) and then proceeds the transaction in another currency.

Ebay allows itself to be used as a platform for this fraudulent activity.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If a seller lists on the Australian site the prices will show in AU$ no matter where the items are located.

All prices on ebay will be in the currency of the site on which they are listed.   That is nothing to do with the seller at all.

Some sellers do have items located in Australia so until they arrive you have no way of knowing if the seller is being truthful in the item location.

The most accurate way of knowing if it is an overseas transaction is to look at where the seller is registered....they cannot change that or falsify it.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Yes! I get that a lot lately.  It's so annoying and I am fed up with it! You always have to click on the member information to see where they are located.

I think it should state in the listing itself where the seller is located. Or better still there should be a search criteria to exclude any seller NOT in Oz, not just where the item is being sent from as you currently can do. Would save a lot of time. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply