Hi Ebayer. Look I purchased a reputable brand of shoes Which when received perished under me.

Hi Ebayer. I have to put it out there, that I purchased a reputable brand of shoes from a seller in USA called REMOVED. When the shoes arrived I put them on and went to work when all of a sudden the shoes just disintegrated from under me. I mean just perished into small fine particles. I contacted the seller who has accused me of damaging the shoes when all I did was put the on and walk. I sent photos and the seller saids that the shoes in the photo were probably not the ones sent. This seller is unbelievable and have opened a dispute through EBay for a resolution. Please Ebayers. Keep this seller in mind and be wary of their antics as they are out to rip off buyers by their shonky products. Thanks guys....Happy Ebay purchasing.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hi Ebayer. Look I purchased a reputable brand of shoes Which when received perished under me.

It's against eBay rules to name anyone on this public forum.

Keep going with your eBay case and if for some reason it fails you can open a case in Paypal.

Just remember to sign up for PayPal's free returns before opening a case.

image host
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Apparently a lot of modern shoes, including the expensive brands, have soles that are made from rubber (?) that crumbles after a couple of years or less. I can't remember who told me this but I think someone who worked in a shoe shop confirmed it was true when I mentioned it. Maybe the seller has had stock sitting around a year or two and has no idea this sort of thing happens.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

You are part right brer.....the problem soles are made of composite or synthetic materials and the problem footwear covers everything for ladies lightweight sandals to mens steelcapped workboots.

There is no way to know if or when the problem will appear but it can be anywhere from a year to 6 or more years after the shoes are purchased and the amount of wear has nothing to do with it.

I first noticed it when clearing out my late mother's wardrobe.  I picked up a very nice, lightly worn pair of sandals and flexed the soles which promptly split across the width of the sole where I had flexed them.

The next problem was a new pair of steel capped workboots issued to my OH.....they were supplied by a new company and we knew nothing about them but they were supposed to be very good quality.   After about 6 weeks of constant wear we had a very wet day.

My OH had blisters on his feet because the shoes were not waterproof.....I could hear his socks squelching.   On further inspection the soles of both shoes had several cracks the whole depth of the very thick soles.  I was just glad it was only water that penetrated and not some corrosive material that he could well have been walking in.

And finally, I have a pair of Hush Puppy walking shoes that were bought last winter and only worn a few times.   I wore them for the first time this year and discovered that the edges of the padded soles are splitting and peeling off, exposing the spongy inners which are turning to powder.

There were several posters last year who had complaints about similar things happening and were very annoyed with the sellers but enough other members had had similar problems and were able to reassure them that it was not necessarily the seller's fault.

From my personal experience it seems to be a fault that can occur for no apparent reason than that the shoes have not bee used for a while, although that does not cover my OH's work boots.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I had the same thing happen with a 'modern' pair of Hush Puppies (not bought from an eBay seller) 

I am curious as to how the seller 'knew' the shoes were shonky though, or, if seeings as they are a reputable brand were they in fact fakes?

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I know that "new" shoes stored for some years can manifest this problem of sudden crumbling.

There's something to be said for clogs!

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

There's something to be said for clogs!

Back in Holland a "few" years ago I split a right one after it came off and hit a wall that I was kicking a ball against

and I just glued it back together and tied it back up with a few bits of wire (still water proof and fine to wear).Whistle.gif

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I know, but the OP's post (to me) reads the seller was aware the shoes were 'shonky' and sells shonky goods

So I was curious as to if it was the issue which seems to be becoming and more common among what were once brands of high quality or if the shoes in question actually turned out to be fake /knock offs of a high quality brand 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

I had the same thing happen with a 'modern' pair of Hush Puppies (not bought from an eBay seller) 

I am curious as to how the seller 'knew' the shoes were shonky though, or, if seeings as they are a reputable brand were they in fact fakes?

My Hush Puppies were bought from David Jones so definitely not fakes.

The ebay purchased ones are still going strong after nearly 3 years.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Lyndal, I only used the word rubber for lack of a better word. I think it was about six years ago that someone told me they hadn't worn a pair of shoes for about a year and when they took them out of the cupboard the soles just crumbled, literally into 'crumbs'. I'm pretty sure they were Clarks shoes, which at that stage had only just moved production offshore. I mentioned it soon after to someone in a shoe shop and they said it was a problem for quite a few brands.

Hush Puppies walkers have had a problem for years now but they refuse to admit it or do anything about it. A shoe shop in the town I mostly shop in told me they stopped selling them because of this problem, but told me they used to replace them if contacted within a year after purchase. That was four or five years ago but they're probably made exactly the same now as they were back then because the problem existed for several years before that and they'd done nothing to rectify it. The ones I had started to deteriorate very soon after I bought them and I was very disappointed because I'd been wearing other types of Hush Puppies for many years.
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply