Hmmmm.....So why don't sellers do the right thing and pack appropriately!

I won an auction some time ago....with a valuable item that was very fragile!  Sure there was insurance on it but it doesn't bring back the item that was very rare and is now lost forever.....yup I emailed the seller to pack very, very well!  Assured me they would.  Excitement, it arrived....in smashed up pieces.  I mean smashed!!  How was it packed you are thinking......IN A CORNFLAKE BOX with KITCHEN PAPER TOWELS and a few screwed up pieces of NEWSPAPER!!!! 😞

If sellers are putting delicate items on for auction surely they should know how to pack them!  Otherwise don't bother!  Secondly, if we as buyers are now having to pay for handling costs....we should expect packaging to be spot on.  I am all for recycling, but SOME sellers are just being downright cheap skates when it comes to their packing!!  

It is annoying when I read more FREQUENTLY the added clause on sellers conditions:

"I am not responsible once it has left my hands, I will not REFUND the item....blah, blah, blah...."   

Of course you are responsible when you take buyers money and in return don't offer a very BASIC service like packing well!  Blaming Aust Post is just a cop out!!! 

When I read that EBAY are introducing the "money back  guarantee" I am wondering if this extends to this sort of problem!???

Probably not, sellers will find a way around it! 

EBAY hirearchy: No buyers if you continue to ignore them.....which means NO SELLERS....in the end.... NO EBAY!!

NO WONDER A LOT OF PEOPLE I KNOW ARE SWITCHING THEIR ATTENTION TO THE ETSY WEBSITE!!  NO HASSLE, SELLERS ARE HONEST AND BRILLANT PACKERS, ITEM ARRIVES JUST AS QUICKLY FROM OVERSEAS AS IN AUSTRALIA.....AND IF THERE IS THE TINIEST PROBLEM THEY ARE ONTO IT IN A FLASH.  NO WHINGING, NO HAGGLING WHO IS WRONG OR RIGHT. REFUNDS ARE GIVEN AS FAST AS YOU CAN BLINK WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED......

Maybe I too shall look into this website......so over sellers who pass the buck and don't PACKAGE their items properly.  A waste of my time and my MONEY!!!!

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If you paid with paypal then you could have opened a dispute for item not as described and escalated it too a claim and you would have got your money back then.

So WHY do you think sellers will get away with it when all the protection is for the buyers and NONE for sellers.

Even posting with tracking post is not enough some times so DO NOT blame sellers and think they get away with it as it is so far from the truth.

One day you might sell and then you will find out just how much protection you get as a buyer and NOT as a seller.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

"EBAY hirearchy: No buyers if you continue to ignore them.....which means NO SELLERS....in the end.... NO EBAY!!

That's a joke..............right.Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Actually.....FYI........... I did pay with Paypal.....that wasn't what my post was about!    This particular valuable, RARE item is now lost forever!

Read it again..................IT IS ABOUT PACKAGING FRAGILE ITEMS OR IN EFFECT THE INABILITY TO PACK FRAGILE ITEMS!

DON'T SELL FRAGILE ITEMS IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PACK THEM PROPERLY!  SIMPLE!

I have had numerous items smashed because the SELLER was a cheap skate on the packaging!  It's upsetting to have this happen when you have gone to the trouble looking on ebay....finding the item....watching, waiting, bidding, emailing for it to packaged correctly, telling them you are more than happy to pay extra for correct packaging..............OVER IT!!!  Over Sellers getting away with handling/packaging charges and not following through........negative comments mean nothing to them.  They continue on their merry way and just build up more points!

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

So why have you not left neg feedback to warn others that the sellers do not pack items properly so they do not go through the same thing?

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

As a collector I can feel your frustration. I recently received an item that came in a display box and the lid of the display box

is damaged, such a shame that the set is not original/complete now even though the contents are still fine. A real dilemma.

The seller had NOT used a shipping box - they chose to use only brown paper and bubble wrap. When I saw the postage label and then remembered I had paid around double that to the seller for shipping I felt a bit narked. Particularly as the seller didn't even respond to my message that included photos of the damage (to be fair I did not ASK for a response, it was more a 'for your information' message).

Unfortunately there are sellers out there who take shortcuts/profiteer. Oh and don't for a moment think that etsy is more honest.

My last purchase there I was charged double what the actual postage cost was. Apparently they charge everyone the same price that way it makes up for any they undercharge!!

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I am predominantly a seller - but have also spent a heap on buying.

I totally agree with you - a fragile item - or any item for that matter should have time & care taken when being prepared for sending.

If a retail store stuffed your item into an old used bag you probably would return in a hurry.

We all know there are those that 'cut corners' in a way that compromises the whole sale - but - not all of us.

The new 'policies' eBay are introducing should have a grave impact on these types of sellers & so they should - as long as eBay follows up (good luck with that) - but unfortunately due to structure - they are going to have the same impact on the truly good sellers.

A lot of the good sellers - the reason for shopping eBay will disappear - sadly it will not weed out all of the 'hopeless' or 'scammers' - they always seem to find a way around everything.

I am so sorry to read of your disappointment - truly downheartening.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@doyleybird-09 wrote:

Actually.....FYI........... I did pay with Paypal.....that wasn't what my post was about!    This particular valuable, RARE item is now lost forever!

Read it again..................IT IS ABOUT PACKAGING FRAGILE ITEMS OR IN EFFECT THE INABILITY TO PACK FRAGILE ITEMS!

DON'T SELL FRAGILE ITEMS IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PACK THEM PROPERLY!  SIMPLE!

I have had numerous items smashed because the SELLER was a cheap skate on the packaging!  It's upsetting to have this happen when you have gone to the trouble looking on ebay....finding the item....watching, waiting, bidding, emailing for it to packaged correctly, telling them you are more than happy to pay extra for correct packaging..............OVER IT!!!  Over Sellers getting away with handling/packaging charges and not following through........negative comments mean nothing to them.  They continue on their merry way and just build up more points!

'

When I read that EBAY are introducing the "money back  guarantee" I am wondering if this extends to this sort of problem!???

Probably not, sellers will find a way around it! 

That was what I was replying to. So your whole post was NOT just about packing by sellers.

Your feedback reflects nothing but good from sellers as you have not left any feedback to reflect differently.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

To the contrary.....I have indeed left negative feedback....mainly from pathetic packaging and the item is broken...I have been a seller and buyer since 2009!!!  I have a vintage hire business so am always on the look out for china etc.....and I have had way too many breakages.  Now I shake the box gently in the POST OFFICE...if I and my lovely postmaster hear clinking...we groan..LOUDLY!  Sure enough....NO PACKAGING DONE CORRECTLY! 

When ebay was hacked several months ago, I changed passwords....unfortunately my son did also...he changed the lot.... and it effectively wiped out my previous statistics...

100% rating I had and 198 or so sales & buying credits!!!! 

I don't go on ebay to attain as many points or stars as many do, as I understand that it is a business to them.  So I haven't bothered hassling Ebay to reinstate my status. 

If I am unhappy with a seller....I LET THEM KNOW.  I let them know because for most, it is a business to them and they should conduct it accordingly!  Like any shop retailer they should have CUSTOMER CARE as their number one priority.....I have been a retailer for 30 years and it has always been CUSTOMER CARE at the forefront to our businesses. 

As for the money back guarantee...sheesh...........does it mean...... "only if the description doesn't fit"  "you change your mind"  or does it incorporate "DAMAGED GOODS ON ARRIVAL" because the seller has been pathetic and hasn't taken the care in their packaging!!!!! 

Once again.....don't sell fragile items if you don't want to take the time and care to pack them is what I am saying.

Better still how about offering the customer the option of say.....PACK and SEND if they have concerns about packaging.... if they are willing to pay extra????????  At least we know it will arrive in one piece.........(I am sure there are people who have had troubles with them also) but surely not as much!  Afterall that's their line of business!!

As for Etsy......a lot of my friends/clients buy  from them and they love it......happy to pay the extra to have the goods arrive safely & a hassle free, no questions asked refund!

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

To Helen.....
Yes I totally agree with you...there are absolutely fabulous sellers...they are now the only ones that I will buy from in the future.....it is sad that other sellers just don't get it! Do the right thing and they will have repeat business over and over again. Thank you for supporting my disappointment and frustrations with SOME sellers! 🙂
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply