How do I get Paypal to change the AMOUNT of a claim?

I lodged a dispute with Paypal when an item hadn't arrived after one month.  Unfortunately I was the only bidder.  The item was a jar of facecream with "free postage".  A couple of days later I received a card from the local Post Office that an item was awaiting collection , but with money to pay for insufficient postage and penalties.  The item awaiting collection was the jar of facecream, posted in a reused envelope from a Government Dept, bearing two sticky-taped stamps which appear to have been reused as the postmark is only on the stamps and doesn't extend onto the envelope.  I had to pay $6.90 for insufficient postage and penalties.   I changed the dispute to "item not as described" because it was described as "free postage", but I don't seem to be able to change the amount sought to be refunded - I'm asking for the seller to refund the $6.90, not the $10 paid for the facecream which I have received.

I would be grateful if someone would tell me how to go about contacting PayPal to change the aount of the claim.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Is the cream as described?

You cannot open a Not As Described dispute over postage. It is the item in the listing that is being described.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Personally, if I had already waited that long, then opened a dispute, then found I had to pay for unpaid fee's on collection, I would have refused to pay at the PO and let the claim run. No idea how paypal would respond to doing that, but as the receiver you would have had every right to refuse paying more. Feedback is a wonderful tool if used properlynd I would certainly state the fact's of this one in mine.

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

You can indeed open a dispute as not as described as the post service forms part of the listing description.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

The amount of the dispute is usually not able to be changed, but put the amount of refund you are seeking and what it is for via a message for the seller in the paypal dispute area.

When you escalate the claim, at the time you do this (not after) you usually get an option to select full or partial refund.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

You can indeed open a dispute as not as described as the post service forms part of the listing description.

You can technically open a dispute over postage costs, but as far as I know they have always been immediately closed in favour of the seller once they're escalated to a claim because PayPal does not cover postage diputes or discrerpancies - that includes things like if you pay for express and the seller uses standard postage, so I very much doubt the buyer will be able to make a successful claim via PayPal in this circumstance.

That unfortunately means any postage refund due has to come voluntarily from the seller.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

The claim has already been changed to Not As Described, which clearly indicates to PayPal that it has been received.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

My comment is based on my own experience, I have been  successful in gaining partial refunds of post charges when goods were not sent using the post service described in listing via claim process.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

The claim has already been changed to Not As Described, which clearly indicates to PayPal that it has been received.

Bummer - I missed that!

Oh well, something to keep in mind for next time 😉

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Thank you all for taking the trouble to respond to my query - much appreciated.  I'll just await the outcome of the PayPal dispute, then chalk it up to experience.  Koalablue, I'm still kicking myself for picking the wretched parcel up in the first place - I stupidly thought I was doing the right thing by the seller. I hate it when I'm the only bidder, though I have to say $10 wasn't too poor a price for a quarter sized (15g) jar of facecream.  The two obviously reused 60c postage stamps (ie previously postmarked) stickytaped to the envelope make me grumpy, though!  I wish I'd paid more attention before I paid the penalty for "insufficient postage", ie no postage at all.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply