How do I turn off the "Shop our recommendations" feature

Can someone tell me how to turn off the "Shop our recommendations" feature shown at the top of a search page? 

I find this a most frustrating feature for a number of reasons not the least is that it is frequently unrelated to what I'm searching for. For example if I search for "carry all" in Industrial>Farming, the offers will be all hand bags.

I have not yet found it of use to me.

If I search for phones it will show me just three phones all the same price and style. The since this is not what I'm looking for I must scroll down just to get to the start of my search results. It drives me mad.

Please, please tell me how to get rid of it!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Install an ad blocker.

Adblocker Plus is a free 'app' for Firefox and Chrome. And works really well.

If you're using IE I wouldn't have a clue, except to use Firefox and Chrome. IE is very much behind the times. AndeBay is very unsympathetic.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

It does not work Dave. 

This seems to be a new feature...I have had it for the last 2-3 days and none of my ad blockers work on this little doozy.  I think ebay is playing around again.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I already use "Ghostery" and "Updated Adblocker for Firefox" which block things like Google AdSense, Yahoo and DoubleClick. But they do not block this annoying feature.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I haven't seen it. Maybe it is browser specific?

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

My IE browser is not working properly now so cannot confirm what happens with it, but it is very annoyingly present on Firefox, which until now has been very ad free.

As an example, I searched for Rake as in the TV show...immediately I got this pop up at the top of the Movie listings for garden rakes.

As near as I can see, if you search for something which is in several categories, when you narrow it down to the category you want, then ebay suggestions pop up with items of the same name in other categories.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I just searched for Rake and I never got the pop up. I am using firefox.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

'Rake DVD'. 81 listings, no popups. Chrome.

Do you have popups blocked? It is an option on Adblock Plus.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Dear respondents,

1. Please read both message one AND message four above before replying.

2. If you are not experiencing this problem (yet) and are using the same settings as those listed i.e. Mozilla with "Ghostery AdBlocker" and "Ad-Blocker for Mozilla" Or you are using Internet Explorer with an add blocker, both of which have been tried, please do not fill this page up with your experiences. One or two is fine, but we do not need to fill the discussion with entries that contribute little to resolving the problem.

Please keep in mind that this is not a new feature but is one experienced by a large number of users. eBay has not targeted me alone! So useful contributions please.

You may also note that when you make a purchase, eBay displayes a message to tell you what other people who bought the same item have also purchased. If for example you buy a mobile phone you will get a message panel at the bottom of the page to tell you that other people who bought the same phone also bought six other phones together with cases, chargers and sports cars. Obviously this message too is just rubbish and the sooner  eBay get rid of it too the better.

Thank you for your contribution. But please limit yourself to useful/helpful comment, we now know there are some users who appear unaffected by this problem. Lucky them. But for the rest of us a solution is what is sought.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Please be aware that this is a members' board and any member can contribute to a thread at any time they choose, whether the originating poster (you) likes their responses or not.

As you went AWOL for over a week, all we could do was suggest, and try things amongst ourselves.

My suggestion was Adblock Plus (a 3rd party app) for both Firefox and Chrome, with the popup blocker enabled.

i do not see where you have stated you tried any of those things, so I will stand by my advice as being both accurate AND relevant. Whether you choose to take it is entirely your choice.

And it is common for different members to do similar searches to try to narrow the issue. And to post the results.

You, after all, asked the question. We, in consequence, used OUR time to try to provide a solution. You could always ask eBay's Customer Support, but I doubt they will even understand your question, much less be able to answer it.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply