How do i get a partial refund request

jllgbf
Community Member

Hello people i purchashed an item which is faulty the seller told me to do a partial refund i have looked everywhere how do i make the request been so many years never had toi do it so i am lost any help would be great thanks .

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Where did the item come from?

Why settle for a partial refund if the item is faulty.  Am guessing it may be O/S

I would be lodging a Not As Described dispute and get a full refund.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Unless the listing said the item was not working/ selling for parts then you should be getting a full refund and the seller paying for return postage

Unless you are happy to keep a faulty item of course

I do hope it is not a dodgey seller trying to string you along

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@jllgbf wrote:

Hello people i purchashed an item which is faulty the seller told me to do a partial refund i have looked everywhere how do i make the request been so many years never had toi do it so i am lost any help would be great thanks .

I don't know if you can, as a buyer, make a partial refund request through ebay. (I think that information is correct)

That is probably why you haven't found a tab for it.

You can certainly open a claim with ebay if an item doesn't arrive or is not as described but I think the seller has to be the one who offers a partial refund, if that is acceptable. Sometimes a buyer might accept or even prefer a partial refund if, for instance, an item isn't exactly as described but they are still interested in keeping it. The seller would then make the refund after the buyer indicated the partial refund was acceptable.

But a faulty item, you'd probably prefer a full refund for that, so do as everyone else has suggested and go straight to an ebay claim for item not as described.

Don't waste any more time negotiating with the seller as you've already tried that and you didn't get a satisfactory response. They are either stringing you along or don't know how ebay works, so in both cases, you're better off opening a proper ebay claim.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

On eBay, the seller has to offer a partial refund, which can only be done once a dispute has been opened, and then the buyer can accept it - you can't request partially yourself.

I think you can request a partial refund when opening a dispute via PayPal, but going through eBay is the best way to deal with the situation first, especially if the seller is on eBay's Managed Payments system (if G Pay was a payment option in the listing, they are on eBay's payments). 

NB- I am assuming the item still has value to you despite the fault, and that the offer of a partial refund is to compensate for the loss of value on the item due to a minor fault, which is in line with ACL. If the fault is major, you have the right to return for a full refund. 

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply