How does an INR work with eBay or Paypal

Hi everyone

I am new to the whole INR case, as I have been fortunate enough to not have had any delivery issues in the past. Unfortunately, my latest parcel appears to have gone missing so I am after a bit of advice.

I recently purchased an item from a seller in Sydney and my home address is only located a 5 hours drive away, so parcels typically take 3 business days by auspost. The seller claimed that he sent it on 9/6 so it has been 9 business days now. Due to the covid-19 situation, I am expecting things to take longer so I might give it another week just to be sure that is indeed lost.

Also, it is worth noting that the seller advertised on the listing that the item would be sent in a tracked satchel. However, when I contacted them for the tracking number, they said they sent it in a letter and thus did not post via a tracked service. This obviously makes it difficult as I can't contact auspost to try and locate it. I sent them a polite message to ask why they did not use the advertised postal method, but they have stopped replying to me. So, I anticipate that the seller will most likely refuse to refund me if I end up having to contact them next week.

In the event that I do have to open a case, should I open it with eBay or Paypal? Since the seller has no tracking, they have no proof of delivery. But is proof of lodgement sufficient for eBay or Paypal? i.e. a post office receipt. The item was worth $60 so I really don't want to lose my money because the seller decided to use a cheaper method of postage.

Thanks everyone

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Open the dispute through eBay. If the seller sent it untracked, you will win the dispute. If they ignore the dispute, as soon as it allows, ask eBay to step in and help. They will close the dispute in your favour.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Always use eBay's MBG first then you can use the Paypal resolution process if the first dispute fails, if you go to Paypal first you can't go back to the eBay dispute process.

As you probably know, you have 30 days past the last ETA of the item to use the MBG, and 180 days past the purchase date for a Paypal dispute.

I have items I'm waiting on but I'm leaving off opening an MBG dispute until about the 29th day to allow for delays.

Edit. Top of the morning to you from SW WA.            original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

As padi suggests wait until further down the track.

The parcel will probably turn up and is just delayed due to backlog in the postal system.

I heard someone saying AP have been getting parcels 5 times what they normally would at christmas.

image host
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Kopes, some of my interstate parcels have started arriving reasonably quickly in the past week (but not all), international deliveries are still being delayed extensively though.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Yeah the delays seem very inconsistent atm. I had a parcel delivered from Perth in 6 business days which is quite quick. So it's a bit hard to comprehend a package sitting in Sydney for 9 days without moving anywhere. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I'll preface this by saying I think the seller has been irresponsible in advertising a particular postage service (especially if you paid the cost of that service) and not using it, plus even if it's small enough to go as a letter and they were looking to reduce costs, there are tracked letter options available now which are cheaper than parcel services.

You're also being a little more fair than others might choose to be in your willingness to wait to make sure it hasn't been subject to a postal delay, particularly in the face of the seller not replying to recent messages.

I did just want to say, though, that postage time is a little random at the moment. I've had a tracked package take a bit over 3 weeks to be delivered to a neighbouring suburb, while packages sent interstate on the same day only took a few days. Letters are even more inconsistent at the moment, since the withdrawl of the priority service and Aus Post reducing deliveries to every second day so that they can concentrate on parcel deliveries, which increased in volume during lockdowns to pre-Chistmas levels and a little beyond, all with reduced capacity. I've had more inquiries than ever recently with regards to untracked letters, with quite a few taking 2-3 weeks (the majority are still being received in what I would call good time, i.e. a week, but 2 weeks is becoming more and more common, unfortunately). 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Kopes, some of my interstate parcels have started arriving reasonably quickly in the past week (but not all), international deliveries are still being delayed extensively though.

Same here, waiting on one from USA for nearly 8 weeks.

I think it was held up in NY, coming from Maine.

image host
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply