How long do you give a seller to make contact before dispute?

*kats*
Community Member

Hi guys,

As the title says, how long is a fair time to wait to open a item not recieved dispute? I still have a decent amount of time before the cut off date, but the item I bought was addressed incorrectly and RTS and the seller who seemed to reply the same day has not replied to my message in about a week.

Normally I wouldn't be impatient but this item was needed by a certain date, the seller changed the item listing to BIN to get it to me in time. I just don't want to spring a case on them in a time frame that wouldn't be fair!

Thanks in advance ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

rkwm888
Community Member

i normally give the seller a couple of weeks but seeing they sent it to the wrong address i would give them some more time but dont leave it too long

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

i placed a INR because i had not received the item in 3 weeks from USA and kept getting messages from ebay saying to do this before the 45 day mark, this was over the xmas period and I knew the post office was going to be closed for like 5 days with the holidays, so I did it, told the seller it was for my own protection and that if it turned up i would cancel the INR case, low and behold the parcel turned up the next day after doing this!!!

The seller then barred me from buying from them.... their loss not mine as I had bought from them before even though they charged more than what the items were worth, but I wanted them

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

45 days is a bit over 6 weeks, and while a couple of years ago I would get parcels from the US and UK within 2, it is now more common for them to take around 4 weeks. 

With a domestic purchase, I wait two weeks or so from the postage date before sending any enquiries, but if they don't reply, a week is the maximum I'd leave it before taking further action (in this instance, opening a dispute), but that may also be dependent on the information given in their last message, more specifically, when the parcel was received back and when they said it would be re-sent.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

*kats*
Community Member

Thanks guys, I realised my original post was kind of asking a different question from the title, don't know what was going in my head there!

My last message from the seller was sorting the BIN for me to post to make sure I had it well in time for tomorrow as I pick my partner up from deployment Thursday and wanted a nice dress to wear! Luckily I bought another one to wear in case it didn't fit. Then it was marked as posted and the tracking number added.

The reason I know it was RTS for incorrect address is due to updates on the tracking number and I messaged the seller about it that day confirming my address on checkout (used PayPal for many many purchases so I know my address is correct though!) and if they recieved the dress back by Tuesday at the latest if they could pretty please send it back to me via express post and I am happy to pay the postage for that. I sent them another message a few days after just to confirm they got my message in case of a glitch but haven't heard from them since the transaction took place.

I have sold a lot on here myself and always reply same day so I just don't know what would be fair on someone else's circumstances. I just worry a week into the transaction might be a bit too quick to open a claim but I don't appear to be getting any updates and have checked their profile to see if they have left feedback for anyone to see if they have been online but no clues. Now that I am pretty sure I won't have the dress on time I am not so impatient to get hold of the seller so I am happy to wait a few more weeks but to me who has sold quite a lot it does seem a bit excessive to me to wait that long for contact and I'm the most (usually!) patient pushover ever!

Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply