How long does paypal payment take to clear after SMS confirmation?

nanjero
Community Member

I purchased an item with a value of >$1000. After going through paypal payment process. A minute later I received an SMS confirmation text from paypal asking if I was really paying that amount. I confirmed that I was.

About 45 minutes later the seller said he received an email from paypal saying the payment was on hold and he proceeded to cancel and refund the order in ebay messaging. At the same time I received another confirmation SMS from paypal similar to the above asking if I was really paying that amount. I confirmed with yes again

At this point I checked my bank account and paypal and both has already deducted the amount in my bank and paypal had already processed the payment.

Shortly I received and email from the seller confirming they had already cancelled and refunded the payment in my paypal.

A couple of questions:

As the title says: How long does it take for paypal to clear the payment to the seller after I reply on the SMS verification?

The seller said he wont send the product until I re-send the payment. However I dont see an option to re-purchase the same product. Do I have to wait for them to re-list the product and re-bid on it?

It will also take a few days for my fund to be returned to my bank account for paypal. Should I ask the seller to wait on re-listing the item until I have the fund to re-purchase it?

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

How long does paypal payment take to clear after SMS confirmation?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have some reservations about this transaction....in all my years of using paypal I have NEVER been asked to confirm the amount I am sending.   I have sent amounts in the thousands to relatives.

Are you sure the seller is not cancelling because his funds are going to be on hold for up to 3 weeks?  If that is the case he is never going to send the item, no matter how many times you send the payment.

If you fund the payent with a bank account the refund will go to your paypal account and you can reuse it immediately.  It is only debit or credit card funding that goes back to that account,taking a few days to appear.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply