How to report sellers for persistently misleading titles

I am a big fan of mohair jumpers / sweaters and search for these specifically on ebay.  Time after time I come across sellers from China who describe their sweaters as mohair in the title, then if you read the actual item description you find that the item is actually acrylic.  I have tried emailing the sellers direct, but the general response is " It IS mohair, but the material is acrylic".  That's like describing a jewellery item as "It IS pure gold, but it's made out of base metal" - in other words, a complete contradiction in terms.  I've tried to report to ebay, but now they have categorised everything I cannot find a category to fit what I want to report.  It's all tick box, nowhere can you actually describe the misleading statements.  Now I know I can just not buy the item, but it annoys me that sellers are deliberately portraying their goods as better quality than they really are so that gullible people believe they're getting something they're not.  Isn't ebay meant to look after their customers?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

hahahahaha Sorry about the laughter, but you can email the  Chinese Sellers all you like, but it will most likely be in vain. If it were me, I would forget about the Chinese Sellers altogether.  Buy locally and that way, you should at least get a reply about a query and if the item is not Mohair you can return it.  Let's see what others think.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Buy local, buy quality.
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Ditto.  Soooo many Chinese sellers don't give two hoots. It's only want want want.

But I should add, there are some good ones that care about their product and customer service.

image host
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Couldn't agree more with you aps. I have a real problem with ebay & the Chinese Sellers flooding the Market with Rubbish Items & Rubbish descriptions. Ebay don't seem to be able to stop ( or want to ) the Trash.  If folks don't buy it in the 1st place, they may get the message. hahahahahahahahaha NOT !!!!

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Hi there Horizon, yes I get why you're laughing, I knew it would be in vain when I emailed them, but did so anyway.  I have no intention of buying anything from anywhere in China - far too many ripoffs - but just wondered why ebay doesn't actually give a rats about such problems, to the extent that you can't even report them!  I guess now at least there's plenty of sites to buy from instead of ebay.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Horizon.

I actually buy a fair bit of stuff from china, cheap, 0.99 -a couple of bucks stuff that generally i dont need pricey stuff.
( you can see what i have bought in my feedback)

But when it comes to mohair whatever, or alloy mag wheels like the guy on the other thread,
You buy locally unless you seriously know everything, whch most buyers don't.

So anything of value or quality, IMHO you buy locally.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

flash. It was very much "Tongue in Cheek". As for the ebay not giving a rats, well I think you would have to consult ebay about that. You see so may posts about the same thing on here. It's totally out of Control. No way of stopping that "Train Wreck" I think. I suppose if you want to buy Rubbish, it's your choice to do so. It's a sad thing though, that so many people don't seem to understand that they are usually going to get a Rip Off or a Dodgy Item when in fact they ( the sellers) blatantly lie about it in the description. 100% genuine. hahahahah yeah right. 🙂

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Horizon,
The old saying.

Quality, service and price. You have two at the same time but not all 3.

The other thing is, a lot of people can't tll quality or the difference between value and price.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

aps I too have bought cheap stuff from China. I certainly would buy ANYTHING of big $$ of any of em. Electronics, High Quality Items, Cameras, etc  avoid em all like the plague.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply