I bought fake makeup so I started a return but its complicated **Urgent help needed**

geoxiia
Community Member

Hello all, I bought a big bulk lot of makeup that included, MAC, Urban Decay, Too Faced, OPI and alot more. I spent quite alot of money on it. When it arrived and i opened it, the thing I was most looking forward to, Too Faced Chocolate pallet smelled of chemicals instead of chocolate so I looked on the back , no serial number. I checked the other big brand name items ALL fake. Also some of the lipglosses where oozing out of the tubes before I touched them and looked used. (I sent pictures)

So I started a return, to which the seller didn't respond. Then I asked Ebay to step in and help to which the seller responded immediately, with,

"Hi what items look used? Because most of them were sealed. The ones that werent were only opened for photo purposes and the products have had stickers on them which i have taken off so they might of looked dirty...as for authenticity....had you asked me before purchasing the pack i would of told you i cant guarantee it as they have been purchased through ebay."

Then later,

"
Also, i have thousands of items in stock. I dont have any used makeup....have you used any of the items??? I put in my listing no returns accepted because just you opening a powdered makeup can be unhygenic and unsealing any of the products can mean i cant resell them. Considering i had no returns in my listing....you should of confirmed with me any questions of authenticity e.t.c. first. Im happy to purchase a mascara and eyeliner from the MAC website and give you the details so you know they are authentic and if you let me know what items look used i can look into possibky replacing them. I dont think a refund is fair on my end as considering you got over a hundred items and i paid for postage..."

What should I do? I feel bad. BUT I did spend over $150 on something I assumed was real because no where did it suggest it was fake in the listing. Help!
*** Just for the record i havnt touched any items I looked at them and put them back in the parcel

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I bought fake makeup so I started a return but its complicated **Urgent help needed**

@geoxiia wrote:

What should I do? I feel bad. 

That's because the seller's replies have had their desired affect - make you feel guilty over something that is their responsibility (and therefore their problem), as well as insinuate that their responsibilities were somehow yours, which in turn may make you back down. 

By which I mean if a seller can not guarantee the autheticity of items, then they either shouldn't list them on eBay, or shouldn't list them as branded items, but generic. 

Listing an item as a specific brand and then trying to suggest the buyer should have messaged to check if it really was that brand is just a crock. The seller is basically saying no buyer should trust a listing's description, which is one of the stupidest things a seller can actually say. If they really weren't sure, why didn't they mention that in the listing in an effort to make sure buyers were making a fully informed decision? The answer is because they didn't want buyer's to make a fully informed decision.

Continue on with the return and get your money back, the seller is the one who needs to learn a lesson here. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

What the seller said to you in no way lessens their responsibility to ONLY sell items here that they KNOW are genuine.

Keep pushing for a full refund.

People like your seller make me quite angry. They are crooks. 

Good chance all of their thousands of items are fake. They need to go.

This seller sounds very like a seller who came whining to the boards about a buyer who said their purchase was fake...the same story.

"but I bought on eBay how do I know the buyer should have asked"

Total rubbish.

These people, know they are selling fakes. Or turn a blind eye and cross their fingers.

Selling fakes is illegal, too. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@geoxiia wrote:

What should I do? I feel bad. 

That's because the seller's replies have had their desired affect - make you feel guilty over something that is their responsibility (and therefore their problem), as well as insinuate that their responsibilities were somehow yours, which in turn may make you back down. 

By which I mean if a seller can not guarantee the autheticity of items, then they either shouldn't list them on eBay, or shouldn't list them as branded items, but generic. 

Listing an item as a specific brand and then trying to suggest the buyer should have messaged to check if it really was that brand is just a crock. The seller is basically saying no buyer should trust a listing's description, which is one of the stupidest things a seller can actually say. If they really weren't sure, why didn't they mention that in the listing in an effort to make sure buyers were making a fully informed decision? The answer is because they didn't want buyer's to make a fully informed decision.

Continue on with the return and get your money back, the seller is the one who needs to learn a lesson here. 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

What the seller said to you in no way lessens their responsibility to ONLY sell items here that they KNOW are genuine.

People like your seller make me quite angry. They are crooks. 

Good chance all of their thousands of items are fake. They need to go.

This seller sounds very like a seller who came whining to the boards about a buyer who said their purchase was fake...the same story.

"but I bought on eBay how do I know the buyer should have asked"

Total rubbish.

These people, know they are selling fakes. Or turn a blind eye and cross their fingers.

Selling fakes is illegal, too. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

i see a lot of excuses in the sellers messages.

but the bottom line is they were knowingly selling non genuine items which is an ebay policy breach. 

they should be reported to ebay for this alone. before they rip off anymore buyers.

i hope ebay suspend them from selling.

you have nothing to 'feel bad' about, you were tricked.

i think you should phone ebay and ask for a call back, explain whats happened and they can read the message where the seller admits to selling non genuine items. you should win, get your money returned and keep the items IMO.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

The seller hasn't sold a lot,(4 items in the last 400 feedback's given).

But then 28 items since the 1st of April of which they have only received one lot of feedback for?

She did go on a bit of a buying spree buying bulk cosmetics,(some from dubious sellers with a "few" negs)shok.gif

Some of the feedback that was left to those sellers,(items were cosmetic items).

Items don't match description extremely disappointed, there are open items.

Omg shocking no wear near what u c. A Copley of items and all very old

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

It's not the same seller,(they've never been on the boards,but it is a similar story)good.gif

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

What the seller has done is not only breach ebay policy but she has also acted illegally, it is a criminal offense to own or offer for sale counterfeit items.

Don't feel in the least bit guilty and make sure you get your money back without having to pay for a return. If you are successful I would seriously consider contacting MAC and any other of the high end brands which are fake and hopefully they will shut this seller down before too many others are scammed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

She doesn't accept returns because opened make up is "unhygienic" and can't be re-sold, but then she's quite happy to send you products she already opened and handled in order to "take photos"

Then she says she would have told you they were rip offs had you bothered to ask....Seriously?!?!!! Does that mean if I want to bid on say an iPhone 5, the onus is on me to email the seller and ask them if the iPhone 5 they have listed really is an iPhone? Do I need to email the seller of some adidas runners to check they are legit? Of course not! This seller needs to know if she can't "guarantee it" she can't sell it, simple. It doesn't matter if you bought one or one hundred items off her, if they're not what she claimed them to be she has to refund you, and too bad if her listing said no refunds as the law sees it differently. You are entitled to a full refund and if she eats the stuff returned she needs to pay for the shipping as well ..... I love her final touch, to try to guilt you into accepting dodgy fakes just because she does!

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply