I just like yo know how America is getting away with charging ridiculous postage

rbt327
Community Member
Why does America now charge very high postage charges and get away with it I was going to but a metal sign 20cmx30cm the buy it now price was $15 but the postage charge was $75 I don't think if cost $75 to post a small flat sign which is very light when you can buy the same size sign from China for $6.99 with free postage
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I just like yo know how America is getting away with charging ridiculous postage

The seller is probably using the GSP run by Pitney Bowes, if they are you could ask if they'll opt out of it and send direct to you.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

As the buyer you get to choose whether you wish to pay for the postage. I'm not sure how a country has anything to do with that

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Are you really so naive as to think you will get the same item from China for $6.99 with free postage as you would get from the USA for $15 plus postage?

If you do not mind getting fakes or copies or poor quality items then go ahead and buy from China and save some money anyway.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If you message the seller and ask him if he would be prepared to list it without using the GSP, he may do it.

Some will, some won't.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

If a seller is happy to post via USPS when they use the GSP, they don't have to opt out, you can request an invoice via the shopping cart. That way they can adjust the postage rate accordingly.

If the seller isn't using the GSP, they could be posting via the top whack postage, like our equivalent of registered, tracking signature, which can work out quite costly

OP, you can always tell if the seller is using GSP even on the search page as it will say something like "Customs Services and International Tracking Provided". Usually sending that way costs far more than via USPS, but for heavier, bulkier items, it is often a cheaper way.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply