I object to the seller adding GST (Goods and services tax Australia), on the postage amount.

GST should only be added to the item price. 

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I object to the seller adding GST (Goods and services tax Australia), on the postage amount.

As sellers in Australia pay GST on postage ( the services part of GST) why do you object? And what do you think other eBay members (who are the only ones who read or respond to board posts) can do about it?

If you are buying items from overseas, eBay will, in accordance with AUSTRALIAN law, charge you GST on the full amount.

If that is your beef, which has been done to death on both the buying and selling boards, perhaps you might like to contact the Australian government.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You can object all you like but GST is always charged on the postage component of low value imports which I suspect is your real complaint.

I suggest you read the Buying and Selling boards to learn more about it.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

The Seller doesn't add the GST.   Ebay does.  Ebay had considered not allowing International sales to Australia as an alternative, so be thankful they didn't go down that path (Like Amazon did)  You could always limit your purchases to Australia only, the GST is still there, but you just wouldn't see it as a separate component as it is already included in the price.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I would be very interested to hear why you believe the goods AND services tax should not apply to the service (postage)

Also, to me your post indicates the seller, themselves, as an individual is adding their very own GST charge as well . Is that correct (or are you blaming the seller for charges they do not personally implement?)

IF the seller is adding 'their own personal charge' report them

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

You don't have to like it but you do have to render unto Caesar what is due unto Caesar.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@mamas-lot wrote:

well, you will have an opportunity to voice your objection* in a tangible way in 5 weeks time (May 18th).

In the meantime, you will need to contact Scomo and Bill Shorten to see if they are planning to change the GST legislation, as well as Richard Di Natale, Derryn Hinch, Pauline Hanson, Clive Palmer and all the other minor players to find out which ones will support your objection.

However, in real terms your vote will likely end up with one of the major parties, who will not be changing the legislation on GST for low-cost imports.

So, looks like despite your objection you will have to pay GST on postage as there is no real way around it (well, there is, but I’m not going into all that again).

Someone else wil be along soon to sympathise with you, and say how they too are ‘hurting’ because of the GST and GSP, but I don’t think they are running in the upcoming election.  If they were, I know they would only be happy in opposition as that would give them an opportunity to whinge and whine (as they usually do).

* I am assuming that you are over 18 and registered to vote, and that you take that voting obligation seriously and not donkey vote.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@mamas-lot wrote:

Yeah, I hear you. It certainly seems wrong. I don't agree with GST and it's not a good thing.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@bluebudgies wrote:
You don't have to like it but you do have to render unto Caesar what is due unto Caesar.

Render to unto the mob which is due unto the mob.

Doesn't make it right though!

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

As good as a rooster, hey? Regular as clockwork.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply