International shipping message prior to purchase, didn't read all of it. Any helpers?

Hi all!
Just purchased something cosmetics from South Korea, and a message popped up before I clicked purchase.

It was something regarding customs or postage.

Anyone seen this before or have a copy of the script? I can't review it, and the only way to read it fully is to purchase it again.

I'm not concerned, just curious!

Thanks and have a fab day.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

International shipping message prior to purchase, didn't read all of it. Any helpers?

No bsal, it does not mean that it will be stopped by Customs.  What it means is that the ebay filters have picked up that you are buying from overseas.  That is a standard message that can pop up just to warn people that there are some restrictions on what can be imported.

There is no way ebay can know whether the items you are buying are restricted or not.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Here is a screen shot (it appears when you click "Buy It Now", but before the purchase is confirmed).

customs warning.PNG

The links get a 404 error because the pages have since been moved, but both go to this page: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

As DG has posted, it most likely means it will be stopped at customs. Alot of cosmetics from overseas do not meet australian standards so BEWARE when buying.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

No bsal, it does not mean that it will be stopped by Customs.  What it means is that the ebay filters have picked up that you are buying from overseas.  That is a standard message that can pop up just to warn people that there are some restrictions on what can be imported.

There is no way ebay can know whether the items you are buying are restricted or not.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

has never popped up when i buy from overseas but then again i dont buy cosmetics from south korea either. ebay probably sees COSMETICS and throws up a WARNING WILL ROBINSON. no doubt it WILL be stopped at customs and checked.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I have seen this many times when buying overseas.

It has come up for shoes, dvd's, clothes lots but I have never had any problems. Items have been delivered still packaged no extra charges and in good time.

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Like Belinda I have had the message many times when buying from overseas.  It has appeared on makeup, clothing, china, DVDs. CDs, carved wooden items, cutlery, horse brasses....in fact on most of the things I have bought in the last 7 years from all over the world have had the warning at some stage.  Some have been inspected by Customs but all but one cleared without a problem.

The only one that incurred the wrath of Customs was a china pot pourri holder....the seller did not remove the dried contents as requested so Customs did it for her and forwared the china holder to me along with a slap on the wrist telling me not to do it again.

Please do not give false information on the boards bsal...at least until you have a bit more experience in overseas buying.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for that..

I have a whole bunch of cosmetics in the same package so I shall see what the customs beagle will want to take home for himself.. The long hours are tough on the complexion.... Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal, 50-70% of my purchases are from overseas and NOT ONCE has that popped up for my purchases. But it might not as my purchases are mostly antiques not cosmetics or some such stuff from asia.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

If this is your only ID you are talking about a few hundred transactions from overseas at the most.

I am talking probably 5 or 6000 overseas transactions on ebay and some 25 years before that of buying privately from overseas. And yes,I have bought a lot of antiques from  the UK as well as perfumes and cosmetics and some cheap junk from Asia....any one of the transactions has as much chance of getting the warning as any other....and most of them were never inspected by Customs.Of those that were inspected, most did not get the warning.

It is completely false to say that the warning means that the items WILL be inspected.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply