Item Not As Described Returned To Me

Hi all.

I recently received a dress that had damage not mentioned in the listing. The seller initially tried to talk me out of opening a request with ebay and said they would take a return, but then went completely silent about a return address and return postage. So I waited a few days and then opened a case with ebay, the seller then accepted the return and I posted the dress back to them.

There was an attempted delivery at their return address and then the parcel was sitting in the post office for four days before I contacted them (and ebay) to let them know. They didn't reply at all, and it took about ten messages back and forth with ebay to get someone who wasn't a robot to see that the tracking showed the parcel was at their post office waiting for collection. Six days after that, I had to contact ebay again because it wouldn't show as delivered in the return request and therefore it had all stalled. Eventually after much back and forth with another six different people who tried their best not to read what I was actually saying, the request was closed and I got a refund, however the seller still didn't pick up the dress from the post office and it was returned to sender (me).

So now my question is, what do I do with it? I don't really want to pay postage to send it back again in case it sits at the post office for another ten days (plus that leaves me out of pocket) and I don't really want the dress either as I've been refunded. Should I hold onto it just in case the seller suddenly becomes communicative again and wants it back? If so, for how long? At this point I'd really like to just put it in the donation bin and forget about it.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It varies a little from state to state but here in Vic if you give notification that it will be disgarded if not collected then you can dispose of it 28 days after the notice was given.

So I would send one last message informing the seller has 28 days to pay return postage if they want the item back.

Keep it for 28 days then give it to an oppie perhaps.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

The seller was probably trying to get the case to time out by not collecting it from the PO.

I would hold on to it for a couple of weeks and then donate it (assuming the damage doesn't make it unwearable).

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I would send them one final message saying the parcel has been returned to you as it was not collected from the PO and that you will hold it for 14 days to allow them to forward you the cost of postage to resend it and if they do not it will be treated as abandoned.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

That all sounds reasonable! Thanks, I'll advise the seller and then donate it next month if they don't organise to get it back.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply