Item marked as 'Delivered' by Auspost but not received

freshy7
Community Member
I ordered an item from WA that was marked as posted on the 15th Aug. Tracking info as follows-

Received by Australia post
Wembley WA
Sat 15 Aug 2.28pm

Item processed at facility
Redbank Qld
Yesterday 10.49am

Onboard for delivery
Bundall Qld
Today 6.51am

Delivered
Southport Qld
Today 11.47am

Ordinarily I get notifications from the Auspost app when items are out for delivery and then delivered but today I didn't- I checked the app myself and saw it was out for delivery so my husband and I made a point of making sure we were listening out for the postie. You can hear anyone drive up or hear the bike postie and we heard neither. Just before 1pm I checked the tracking and it said delivered 11.47am. I checked outside and in our letterbox and nothing, so I checked the neighbours letterboxes and their front stoops (I'm in a block of 3 units and they aren't home during the day) and nothing. No one knocked and didn't hear anyone even pull up so I'm not sure delivery happened at my address.

I contacted the seller to confirm the address it was sent to and they said it was correct and I sent an enquiry to Aus post.

Just wondering what happens from here? Item was $30 if that means anything and was sent via regular post in one of those prepaid satchels I believe.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

If you enter the tracking number on the AusPost site, there's an option on the status page which says "I haven't received the item" - that's how you get the ball rolling...

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

A friend of mine had an expensive camera accessory sent, which she thought didn't arrive. Fast forward through contacting the seller and enquiries made re where the package was, and ultimately the seller being good enough to send another one.

Months elapsed until she and her housemates were moving house, a housemate called her after she had moved to new residence and told her she found a parcel in the back yard, down the side of the house behind a very high locked gate which they never used. The gate was so high, and the package was a good few metres back, the postie must have literally thrown it for it to be where it was found. It had been there all the time, in the rain. Unbelievable how they treat packages.

Anyway, my point is to have a really good look inside your yard, even if they can't access. As for the postie not coming to the door, they're not doing that atm and many never did anyway. You can call AP with the tracking number and open an enquiry, soon as you can

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

freshy7
Community Member
I don't have a yard, I'm the middle of 3 conjoined units. Its our electric garage roller door and our front door, then neighbours on either side. Our front door is pretty far back too so you can't see it from the street so if a parcel was left there (as my safe drop instructions say to) it would unlikely be nicked. Auspost are actually pretty good in this area and always knock (I'm usually home or not far off after a delivery) so I suspect they didn't deliver to the property. Also because the door is quite far back the bike postie or truck usually pull all the way up and are very easy to hear, and both myself and my husband were in the front room at the time.
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

freshy7
Community Member
I've sent an enquiry with Aus post which says it usually takes 24- 48hrs but will likely take longer due to Covid. I was just wondering what happens now with investigation as I believe the seller is honest and sent the item, what happens if Aus post can't locate it? I can't prove I didn't receive it if it's marked as received.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Lodge an enquiry as suggested by whiznumber, but maybe give your local PO a call in the morning and see if they can check with the postie if they remember actually visiting your property.

Prepaid AP satchels are automatically insured up to $100, but if tracking is showing it as delivered to the correct suburb, the seller won't be able to make a claim as AP considers it delivered correctly.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

@freshy7 wrote:

Just wondering what happens from here? Item was $30 if that means anything and was sent via regular post in one of those prepaid satchels I believe.

In so far as the enquiry, Australia Post will investigate and try to determine the delivery location - in some cases, they will have a photo of where the package was left, so it might pay to either get on to their live chat service, or call to speak to someone in person if possible (you can lodge inquiries online, but that can take a while before someone even looks at the case, especially now, and the faster you get someone to look at it, the easier it is to check what may have happened as well as potentially retreive the package if misdelivered. You can also get relatively prompt responses via Facebook (send the details through a private message). 

I've had a few cases lately where a package I sent was delivered to the wrong address, but luckily each time the person who received it actually brought it around to my customer, so if that happened here, hopefully anyone who might have received the package will do something similar, or at least return to sender. 

If not, and Australia Post determine the package was lost / delivered to the wrong address, they should pay compensation - though, because the sender is the one who contracted the service, the pay out will go to them, so keep them in the loop for any developments, perhaps ask them if they can provide any additional information that may help Aus Post (full parcel description, maybe, stuff like that, just in case there was something non-generic about it that will jog the delivery driver's memory).  

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

freshy7
Community Member
Received this from Auspost-

We have an update on the delivery of your Parcel Post item.

I have met with the driver responsible for the delivery of this item, and after reviewing route and tracking information, they recall that your parcel was delivered to your letterbox.

If you’re still unable to locate the item, the sender will need to contact us, quoting Case ---------

Thank you for taking the time to contact Australia Post.

I honestly don't believe they delivered to my letterbox, I checked the mail at maximum 1hr after delivery and also checked the neighbours letterboxes and nothing. I've contacted the sender, guess I have to wait and see what Auspost says to them.
Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

The same thing happened to me recently, parcel said delivered around 3 times during the week, finally on Friday its delivered so I assume it will be with you very shortly, mind you during that time I was having a slight meltdown as the parcel was from the US.
Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

it does happen a lot ....to me too ...
Message 10 of 30
Latest reply