Item now on sale at Kmart!

2011suziem
Community Member

Hi.
I have bidded on a NEW doll. Cheap price but the same doll is now available and on sale (not normal stock) at Kmart for their toy sale. By the time postage is added to the doll I have bidded on, its going to be much more expensive than going and buying one at my local Kmart. 

I don't read my catalogues in the post, thus had no idea when I did the latest bid. 

Any suggestions what one can do in a situation like this? Or do I just get stuck with the doll and hefty postage?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

the time to do yr research is before bidding, not after.

guess you'll have to hope you get outbid, or as you say just put it down to experience

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

You can contact the seller and ask to cancel your bid as long as there is 12 hours or more left on the auction.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

If it's the Berenguer doll then I see the auction has finished. My advice is to do what you would like a buyer to do if YOU were the seller.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

OP, this happens a lot of eBay, unfortunately.

Sellers who do this (list items over market value) do so, relying on buyers like yourself, not realising they can get the exact same just down the road. They also rely on those type of customers who cannot access stores easily, like KMart, Target etc.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to pay for this one and chalk it up to experience.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Awww... don't you hate that?

More so don't you know the golden rule to never look up the price elsewhere of an item you've just bought because you'll ALWAYS end up finding it cheaper somewhere else?..:doh! ^O 

You just have to chalk that one up to the 'Too Bad, So Sad' basket and learn from it!

We've all been there, done that if not on line, at least in the B&M stores.B-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

OP, this happens a lot of eBay, unfortunately.

Sellers who do this (list items over market value) do so, relying on buyers like yourself, not realising they can get the exact same just down the road. They also rely on those type of customers who cannot access stores easily, like KMart, Target etc.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to pay for this one and chalk it up to experience.

Often places like Kmart etc are able to purchase stock at a much lower price than the normal wholesale price which the smaller sellers have to pay. At times they heavily discount stock or use it as a loss leader to encourage customers into their stores. Often when something is offered really cheaply they only have a very limited quantity also and hope that if the customer can't get what they came in for they will purchase something else instead.

This does not necessarily mean that a seller is listing their item over market value - it just means they are unable to compete on price with the bigger retailers.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

yeh I hate when this happens but best thing to do just continue through with the item and learn from it for next time. Look around and check prices before u bid/buy

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I have bidded on a NEW doll. Cheap price...

Says it all really. It is cheap, but not the cheapest. Pay up, I suggest.

Ooh, that's funny. The spellc hecker doesn't like 'bidded'. I can't imagine why.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Just remember that since eBay implemented changes May 1 2013 (such as the 30% premium mark-up on all Buy It Now from any starting auction price, which happened as a result of their research finding that most buyers like to buy it now) NOTHING much will be cheap on eBay in the future. Today I processed very large phone orders from people who would have normally bought from eBay but they told me it was no longer offering value for money. Who can blame them when the fees are also ridiculously high for sellers?

Try and retract your bid - after all, that is why the bid retraction facility is there for anyone to use.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply