Item returned for warranty and communication ceased

andmark_44
Community Member

Hello

Not sure what to do in this circumstance and couldnt find any useful info searching.  A few months ago an item purchased from a seller (aus based) stopped working (worked fine for over a year). Contacted manufacturer who requested i go through the seller first. I contacted the seller who requested to send the item to them for for the claim. However after sending the item to them all communication has ceased. Multiple emails have been sent and no reply after a few months. Cant find a phone number to contact them either and feel abit clueless on how to continue. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Warranties on Ebay are worthless unless they are backed by a big seller with a bricks and mortar store. Anyone can say they offer a warranty, but it really means nothing. There are people who buy from overseas/Chinese sellers who offer a "warranty", but there is no way that it can be enforced.

Unfortunately, the time has passed to make a claim through either Ebay or Paypal.

There is also no way that you should have sent the item back under any circumstances. as now you have no item and have incurred a financial loss from the postage.

Where is the seller based? Australia or overseas?

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

andmark_44
Community Member

They are based in Queensland. Doing abit of digging they do have a store which i tried getting into contact with so i am slightly more hopeful. The item stopped working so figured 10 dollar shipping fee would be worth the hundreds to buy a new one.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

You may want to lodge a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading in QLD. If the seller is a legitimate business, that may be your only recourse at this stage.

You may also want to contact your bank if your payment source was a credit/debit card. I don't fancy your chances with your bank, though, because your purchase was more than a year ago.

In cases like this, you need enforceable consumer protection. That means that you must rely on the item warranty, and the terms of the purchase must be such as not to negate that warranty. There's also the reasonable expectation for the item to be able to be used for a certain amount of time under Australian Consumer Law.

As has been said, a warranty by a seller on eBay might not be something on which you can rely. A great deal depends upon whether the seller is an authorised Australian dealer. Hopefully you can resolve this - but there isn't an eBay process for relying on a seller's warranty. If an item stops working after a year, only Australian consumer protection can really help you.

When buying an item where a warranty is something on which you want to rely, only ever ever ever buy from an authorised seller. You may want to check with the local distributor or the manufacturer, as appropriate, to see who is an authorised seller. Remember that if you buy from an international seller, the item will be a grey import/parallel import, and that also has certain implications in terms of warranty. Make sure you understand any of those implications and limitations.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply