Item sent twice!

Hi

I bought a $400 tv and after I had paid, I asked the seller to post it to a different address, which they did. It arrived safely and then a week later, I get delivered another tv to my original address.

Due to the size of the tv, postage back would be very expensive. Should I just keep it as it was their mistake. What would you do??

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Item sent twice!

I would be asking them to arrange collection of the second tv

Was it a 'private' (as in normal everyday person) who sould it, or a company?  if it was a company maybe they have another depot or something?

Did you make it clear to them you wan't the one tv sent to the one address?

I think we both know the answer to 'should I just keep it'

Woman Frustrated

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

@chickee-babe wrote:

Hi

I bought a $400 tv and after I had paid, I asked the seller to post it to a different address, which they did. It arrived safely and then a week later, I get delivered another tv to my original address.

Due to the size of the tv, postage back would be very expensive. Should I just keep it as it was their mistake. What would you do??

Can't believe you feel the need to ask that question, but I suppose it is good that you are seeking other views on this.  I wouldn't think of keeping the extra TV and would contact the seller to arrange for them to organise a courier to take it back.  I am assuming it is too big to be sent by Australia Post.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

@chickee-babe wrote:

A mistake, certainly, but if you made a $400 mistake, wouldn't you appreciate the opportunity to make it a $100 mistake instead? ($100 being an arbitrary cost of return postage, it could be half that with the right courier).

You should be aware also, that eBay's post-sale system isn't perfect - it is a well known occurrence for items that have been fully processed (that is, purchased, paid and sent) to suddently reappear in a seller's "awaiting postage" list, and more than a few sellers have been caught out that way because their order processing systems don't pick up on it until it's too late. I know for certain even on items a fraction of that value, they are very grateful when it occurs with an honest person who alerts them to the error and is prepared to work with them to get the item back.

I'm not saying you have the responsibility of paying for return postage or even organising it, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't think you should at least notify the seller and ask them what they would like to do. 

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

Sorry, I should have explained that I did contact the seller and they want me to pay for the return postage. I haven't even unpacked the box, but as I said, I can't afford to pay to send it back.

Enigmabear, it is a private seller and the tv is seller referbished - they had over 10 available. I had the address I wanted the tv delivered to correct on ebay, but I forgot to change the address on paypal, hence the need to contact the seller to change delivery address.

I guess I don't know where I stand given I am happy to send it back, but they wont pay for it. Woman Frustrated

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

It's not really a game of finders keepers.

Years back I had some new windows installed, then woke up next day to find a whole new set of windows in huge frames were outside, leaning against the fence.

I rang the company and a few days later they came out and picked up the extras, but till I rang, no one had realised there had been a double delivery. But of course they were keen to get their items back and grateful to be told.

I don't think for a second you should be responsible for return postage but contact the seller, let them know what has happened. They did the right thing by you, they even sent to a different address. Why not do the right thing by them, tell them, then the ball's in their court. It is then up to them to arrange pick up.

Imagine if the positions were reversed. Wouldn't you like to be told if you had made an expensive mistake and be given a chance to fix some of it.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

I posted my first comments before I saw your post above.

If they are expecting you to pay return postage, I would be saying no, you bought one TV, you were delivered two, the mistake is theirs, if they want it, they can arrange collection.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

Unless there are other factors involved than stated here, you would be in no way responsible for the cost of return. It's an unfortunate error for the seller, for sure, but if you didn't contribute to the error, you can't be held liable for it, or for the cost of rectifying it.

Re: the delivery address, for future reference, it doesn't matter what your address is with PayPal or eBay, you always have the option to change it manually during checkout (on the first page, before going through, logging into PayPal and actually confirming the payment). Personally, if any of my buyers had made an order of that value and then asked after payment to change the delivery address, I would have refused and only offered them the option of refund and repay using the correct address. 

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

@chickee-babe wrote:

Sorry, I should have explained that I did contact the seller and they want me to pay for the return postage. I haven't even unpacked the box, but as I said, I can't afford to pay to send it back.

Enigmabear, it is a private seller and the tv is seller referbished - they had over 10 available. I had the address I wanted the tv delivered to correct on ebay, but I forgot to change the address on paypal, hence the need to contact the seller to change delivery address.

I guess I don't know where I stand given I am happy to send it back, but they wont pay for it. Woman Frustrated

Thank you for coming back and clearing up some aspects of your situation.  The seller should be responsible for the return costs and I doubt they can make you pay for return.  Stick to your guns and keep reminding them of this.  If they are selling the TVs for $400 they will pay for the return or else they will lose more than the return costs.  They may try to propose an arrangement where you pay them a reduced price for the second TV and keep it, but let this be their suggestion . . . . . and do not feel obliged to accept such an offer if made.

How was the second TV delivered?  If it was by courier, then I suppose if something like this ever happens again you could try not accepting delivery.  Then the courier would probably deal with the seller directly.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Item sent twice!

I totally agree Ghost that a buyer changing delivery address after payment is annoying, so when I emailled the seller to request the change, I also said that if it was too much trouble, they could refuse my request and deliver to the original address. They were happy to send to the new address, so I don't feel I have contributed to the mistake.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply