Lack of Description

This is just an observation.  I've been looking through the caravan section and came across a 5th wheeler for sale for $105,000 BIN, with four not very good photos and eight lines of description.

A little further down there is a "do-er upper" with the bid currently at $500, 12 photos and lots of detail in the description.

Surely if you wanted >$100,000 for your van you would put a lot more effort into the ad to sell it.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Lack of Description

I agree.  And not just for the expensive stuff either.

Collectables for sale - poor fuzzy photos, vague info in the description....it always makes me wonder what the condition of the item is really like....and what the seller is hiding.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

There was also one where all but one of the photos (about 10 in all) were sideways.  I just don't get it.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

I got some great bargains from inexperienced/sloppy sellers with bad photos and not much description.  I asked questions, which they replied to, and confirmed that what I thought the item was is correct, and because many other potential buyers just went past the blurry gallery shot, there were not many bidders.  🙂

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

There was also one where all but one of the photos (about 10 in all) were sideways.  I just don't get it.

Photobucket sometimes decides to rotate pics by 90degrees; you have to set it such a way that it is not allowed to.  🙂  It was driving me up the wall (although my items do not necessarily  have the right way up), until somebody here explained how to do the settings.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

That's true Super_Nova (re bargains).  I managed to win an item - that usually sold for a great deal more - for a very good price.  I took a punt that it was OK.

The photo wasn't blurry - it just looked like the item has been attacked by mould.  I was very relieved to see it was in mint condition, not mouldy after all. 🙂

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

There was a scam going on in the Winniebago/Caravan mags a while back.

Seller was claiming they ''were in england at the time & had to sell because they wouldn't be coming back for a few years' or similar......they wanted people to pay via western union, or at least submit a Deposit of $1,000 to show their genuine interest.

I would not purchase anything for big $'s on here unless I could have ...say... the local police man pop out & verify it [if it was in another state. lol.

You would have to be pretty brave to buy site unseen or unverified on here.  A lot of car scammers on here have had their burned buyers appear on Current Affair in the last few months.. 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

Cars should be pickup only. ANY pickup item should be personally inspected before parting with the readies.

The whole point is that scammers only succeed because buyers are greedy and don't look past the supposed savings off real prices.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

It amazes me that some sellers try to sell with no photo whatsoever - not as much here, although it does happen occasionally.  But I see it all the time on gumtree. No photo, very brief line of text. Okay these are pick-up items, but still, I can't be bothered mucking around trying to find out if it's the item I'm looking for - a photo would help a great deal.

One of my pet peeves on the listings on ebay is when a seller says "photos say it all" or similar.  Well, no, actually, the photos DON'T say it all - tell me please exactly what you are expecting me to spend my hard earned $$ on.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Lack of Description

There was a scam going on in the Winniebago/Caravan mags a while back.

Seller was claiming they ''were in england at the time & had to sell because they wouldn't be coming back for a few years' or similar......they wanted people to pay via western union, or at least submit a Deposit of $1,000 to show their genuine interest.

I would not purchase anything for big $'s on here unless I could have ...say... the local police man pop out & verify it [if it was in another state. lol.

You would have to be pretty brave to buy site unseen or unverified on here.  A lot of car scammers on here have had their burned buyers appear on Current Affair in the last few months.. 

I responded to a van advertised else where that was claimed to be in Sydney and a few thousand $$ under market value, I contacted the seller and said I would be driving through Sydney in a couple of days and wanted to view the van and collect if it was suitable and pay cash.

Suddenly the was now not in Sydney and had moved to Darwin :^O

I was going to let them know I knew a local copper in Darwin and he would look it over for me, but I couldnt be bothered.

As for badly advertised items I am picking up a bike in a couple of hours that has been for sale for some time and hasn't sold because it doesn't come up on a normal search, again not ebay, that has cost the seller at least 6 weeks of non sale and $1500.00  drop in sale price.

Having good pictures and a good description is vital to selling, not long terms & conditions

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply