Listed as Sydney, Australia but Sent from China and return address in China?

I usually try buy from Australian located sellers on eBay.

It annoys me that I keep purchasing goods from example Sydney, but when received they have arrived from China and if there are any issues (in the case I am having now) - the return address is in China.

How is this allowed?

There shiould be a rule that if the listing says Australia - That means, it's in stock and gets sent from Australia with an address located in Australia.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I 100% agree, but in saying that, because eBay allow sellers to put the item location as anywhere they want, I always check where the seller is registered before  I bid/buy and I look at their feedback. Saves a lot of hassle as if it says they are registered in China and they have a huge amount of red dots I refuse to risk buying from them

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

There are those rules in place but the Chinese just break the rules.

And almost impossible for eBay to have proof they don't have warehouse facilities in Aus.

All we can do is continue to not buy from sellers that look anything like being Asian.

Always click on their ID and then you will see where the account is registered.

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Good thinking!! Will start doing that from now on.
I don't mind buying things from China if it's something small and can wait the delivery times... but in most cases, I prefer to support the local businesses on eBay which should be pushed more on eBay's Part!
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be if postage to return was prohibitive, a buyer didn't have to return a faulty item.

It might be worthwhile to talk to eBay about it, pointing out that the item location was shown as Sydney, so you should only have to return it to Sydney anyway.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@nerds4hire wrote:

I usually try buy from Australian located sellers on eBay.

It annoys me that I keep purchasing goods from example Sydney, but when received they have arrived from China and if there are any issues (in the case I am having now) - the return address is in China.

How is this allowed?

Just request their address in Sydney if that's their location on the listing,(if they don't give you one then tell them

you will contact eBay and tell them that the seller is refusing to give you their address as stated in the listing and

that you will be reporting them for item address misrepresentation).

If you need to just give them the link to the policy:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=424...

If they don't cooperate then just report them to eBay via the Help page at the top.

if you've stated a dispute then mention the item location misrepresentation.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
Chinese are the best most honest sellers on the planet
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

marwi_3023
Community Member
Apparently it's only "racist" to be negative
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Hi

In my case the seller told me to send it back to the address on the shipping label and it must be in the original packaging.  Well having used the item for 3 months I didnt have the packaging.  They refused to give me the address.

Contacting eBay was useless - they wern't interested because it was outside their return period.  They referred me to Paypal.

Paypal started a case and the seller then provided their address - China.  No good I replied, I bought from an Australian address and the postage quote I had was for almost the value of the item.  Paypal ruled in the Sellers favour, and would not allow me to challenge further.  After speaking to a higher up they offered to cover half the postage.

I contacted eBay again to make a complaint about the Seller, and they politely heard me out.  They even told me this was a breach of the sellers agreement, but they still couldn't help me.

All in all, how much energy do you invest in chasing a refund on a $34 item.  I know I am in the right, I know I can ring government bodies, but it just isnt worth my time - and dodgy sellers know this...

One thing I have learnt though is that Paypal have a Refund return service where they will cover the cost of returning items for up to 180 days, and up to $45 (and up to 8 times per year).  The horse had bolted in my case, but in future they can wear it themselves and then maybe they, and eBay will do something about this fraudulent behaviour.  Link to activate it here:

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I have had the same issue ...Ebay seems to be on the buyers side ...i needed my item for work the next week so i baught from an Australian seller ,i then then received tracking info from shenzhen china ..i contacted ebay and they said i had to wait for it to arrive then send it back to the seller ...Ebay is gouing down hill 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply