Listing items and then withdrawing the item after bids have been placed.

I am looking to purchase a Chesterfield lounge and have been watching them for some time to get an idea on price.

I have noticed on a number of occasions that sellers remove the item after a bid has been placed, this has happened to me personally on more than one occasion and I find it really frustrating, is this allowed?

Also can I make the suggestion that when a pick up items is listed, can ALL sellers list their location in the heading PLEASE:-D

I am making this request as I was looking at a beautiful carved bookcase, pick up only, in 

Queensland....as I live in Victoria it's a long way to travel.....:-) It would also save lot's of time when searching for items.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Totally agree with the Pick Up info, but not much we can do about it until eBay make it a compulsory part of the listing process.

As to removing an item from sale after a bid, there can be many reasons and when it all boils down to it, until the item is won the seller can do as they wish so long as it is within eBay guidelines.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

if you are in Victoria and bidding on a pick up item in Queensland then that might be the problem.  I too am in Victoria, and if I was going to bid on a pick up item in Qld I would message the seller first letting them know my intentions (i.e. will be holidaying there in June, or, would arrange and pay for a courier myself).  Only if the seller said "okay" would I bid.

There have been threads here on the boards from sellers who have had an interstate buyer want to arrange courier, but this relies on the seller being home when the courier turns up.  Some sellers get stuffed around by buyers and are probably going to cancel bids from interstate buyers unless contact is made beforehand.  If they feel the transaction will end up more trouble than it is worth then they may cancel the listing altogether, especially if they are new to selling.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

You do not have to go through all the items you are interested in - just change the listings to "distance nearest first" and you can then decide how far you are willing to travel.

I have also withdrawn items after listing ( not often though) mostly because they have had faults I had not noticed . In the case of furniture , maybe a friend or family member wanted it or they simply decided they could not bear to part with it. If there are no bids they are well within their right to do so.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I have also withdrawn items after listing ............ If there are no bids they are well within their right to do so.

Seller can remove bids and cancel provided the auction has more than 12 hours to run.

Reasons for ending listings early include:

• The item is no longer available for sale.

• There was an error in the starting price or reserve amount.

• There was an error in the listing.

• The item was lost or broken.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply