Lots of spam after placing orders

Hi all.

Recently I have bought a number of items on ebay and now my inbox and junk filter have around 20 - 30 spam emails per day. This never use to happen. Is ebay selling my email address or supporting such practices?

Kind regards

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It's not likely to be eBay, more like the sellers you are dealing with that are forwarding your email address, or someone you have contacted and not related to eBay at all.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks Padi for your reply. It seems limited to ebay transactions as I have not used my email to contact anyone else and I do not provide my email when asked at shops etc. Ebay has strong policies regarding sellers not proving email addresses to third parties  but I wonder how and if these policies are enforced. I tried to navigate to contact ebay and found they have effectively made it very difficult to contact ebay directly. I am now receiving closer to 50 junk emails a day and taking up time adding these to my block lists. I am wondering if there may be a safer trading platform to buy goods through.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@gowl_jaso wrote:

Ebay has strong policies regarding sellers not proving email addresses to third parties  but I wonder how and if these policies are enforced.

Those policies would only be enforced if eBay was given proof by members that the seller had done that - very hard to prove I suspect.

I tried to navigate to contact ebay and found they have effectively made it very difficult to contact

ebay directly.

Use the link below and scroll to the bottom for contact options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196

With the amount of junk emails you're getting I think it would be an isolated problem, otherwise the boards would be awash with complaints by members. Hopefully with you blocking those emails it will eventually solve your issue.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

OP, don’t forget that spam has reached unprecedented levels of late.

This includes phone call spam, SMS/text spam, and email spam.

It might be worth your getting a gmail or live email address to use for online purchasing or forum registration. These will filter out junk mail effectively, and leave your personal or business email account/s less likely to be involved in any data breach.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Quote " Ebay has strong policies regarding sellers not proving email addresses to third parties  but I wonder how and if these policies are enforced." The dont give a **bleep** as long as they are collecting commissions, had multiple bad experiences and ebay did nothing to sellers. disgusting. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

How would you know they did nothing to the sellers? 

They don't tell you what they did or did'nt do

Did you open and follow through with the appropriate disputes?

Multiple bad experiences = make better buying choices/care about who you buy from

You've not left neg feedback for these bad experiences either so you can't be too disgusted 

The buyer has all the power, use it 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply