MISLEADING CHINA ADDS NOT $1.00

Hello has any one else noticed hundreds of listing from China for Wedding Dresses and Bridesmaid Dresses at $1.00 you click into the listing select the dress and size and they are over $100' Why is ebay not doing something about this?

Also noticed a lot of items i sell that are high in price to by wholesale here in Australia' China are selling the same for only $1.00 and FREE shipping i cant compete with this and they come up over the Australian Listing's in search'

Whats going on here and why is this being allowed to happen.

Postage is killing us here and they can ship for FREE?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

A similar question from the answer centre recently -

http://community.ebay.com.au/question/Buying-Ebay/Seller-Dress-Advertised/500158278?

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

If you check the listings carefully those dresses you see are not $1. They have drop down choice box with "Dress, Veil" or "Dress, Gloves" or, "Dress, sash without dress". And if you choose Dress the price will go up.

It's cheating to get the listing position up and attract buyers want to buy bargain items. And it's against eBay policy.

You can report them or send complaints to eBay via email. They might get removed if you are lucky. But I don't think the chance of removal is great.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

And I was going to say the same thing putney said on the other post,     Ive not heard of one person happy with a wedding dress purchased from China-     so serves you right if you order this (especially for such a special occasion) and it looks like poo.   Another point i get fed up with from Chinese manufacturers is showing pictures of garments you know are made somewhere else and not one picture of the true garment made at their factory.     Recently tried communicating with a chinese manufacturer off Alibaba (there ya go)     Had some beautiful pictures of Isabella Oliver maternity dresses up,  asked them if they could send me a picture of the true garment they made, nope.    I also know that Isabella Oliver garments are made in turkey-   step up from chinese manufacturing IMO.

As far as the competition goes the stuff you are seeing for cheaper might not even be the true product anyway.  Or you are buying from a supplier in Australia who orders from China and puts the cost up heaps but at least they provide you with the quality control.

That being said I did order an electric fly killer from China (cant get it anywhere else,  illigal i think here to sell??)   And I love it   lol.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Oh sorry and I just wanted to add,  whilst listings from China are competing against ours,   Alot of people do not want to wait weeks and weeks for a product to arrive-  especially party items that you need within a time frame,  so I wouldnt worry too much about the competion.   Most people know it can take up to a month for something to arrive from China.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you really order something from China that is illegal so sell here?

You are lucky it was not caught by Customs...you could have lost the item and been issued with a huge fine.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

flotsam-jetsom
Community Member

And a bridesmaids dress for $1.00, really? I am not meaning to sound rude, but what would any one really think they were going to get"?  Perhaps a wedding dress for $2.50 ? and airfares and accomodation for the honeymoon couple for $9.95?. Honestly it may not be eBay sanctioned practice, it may not be the right thing to do, it may be a complete sham, heck it may be illegal,  but it all boils down to how gullible are people, seriously.?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I don't think anyone believes they'll get a wedding dress for $1, and even if they do, once they've opened the listing they'll find out quick enough that the dress is much more.

The real issue is that it clogs categories with irrelevant listings that - believable prices or not - are misleading, which is frustrating to buyers and sellers. It's not just in the clothing/dress category, unfortunately, they do it in every category they can get away with it. (Watches is another common one - they'll have a picture of a nice looking watch as the gallery pic, price is usually $1~something, but click on the listing and find that it's some cheap little watch repair tool for that and the watch being advertised in the title and gallery is much more).

You can filter them out of your searches by only getting results with a price of say $3 or more, but you'll risk missing a few local auctions with lower start prices.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Don't forget China now owns a large share in ebay so it is probably all the in-laws being given priority.

I emailed one chinese seller once regarding hundreds of listing of new men's clothes in the Vintage section.  I explained to him I was sick of scrolling though page after page & only seeing his modern items & that I was going to report him to ebay.

He replied & apologised, claiming he didn't realise his clothes were in the wrong category ....... yeah, sure !  I never bothered to check back if he stopped swamping the mens vintage with modern rubbish.....it is this sort of 'chinese swamping' that puts me off searching through ANY category........& I'm sure a lot of buyers feel the same way !!!

If I want modern I only have to go down to the local shopping centre, the world is flooded with modern from china.

As for the wedding dress scam I'd keep reporting them but I doubt ebay will do anything due to the chinese interest in ebay now.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

katrina27761
Community Member

true, never thought of that

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply