Make and offer garbage.

x321654
Community Member

Sorry for the whine, but more than once I've made a seller an offer and they've come back with a counter offer that's 50 cents (or less) of their original asking price.  So why do they have the make an offer button?  Do they get some kind of bonus by having it?

I've voted with my money (I don't buy from them), but its such a waist of time.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Make and offer garbage.

i agree ,,,,,if you cant give at least  5 to 10% off for a start

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

TOTAL GARBAGE alright...Good for ebay i suppose cause the more it sells for the more feeeeeeeees. Thats why its allowed id say.

@x321654 wrote:

Sorry for the whine, but more than once I've made a seller an offer and they've come back with a counter offer that's 50 cents (or less) of their original asking price.  So why do they have the make an offer button?  Do they get some kind of bonus by having it?

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

@x321654 wrote:

While this may, or may not, apply to the sellers and items you've been making offers with / on, different sellers use the make an offer feature for different reasons - some sellers have used it to provide discounts on bulk quantities, and can't provide that (or any) discount on purchases of just one or two, so it is not uncommon for little to no discount on best offer items (sellers tended not to mention this in listings, as certain keywords - like offer - could be picked up and cause listings to be ended automatically, and policy violations issued, despite the actual sentences not actually trying to breach eBay policy). New discounting features store sellers have access to may help curb the instances where sellers used best offer for this purpose, though. 

Some newer sellers seem to misunderstand the feature completely, and are under the impression using best offer means their Buy It Now price is the minimum they'll accept, and people can offer higher amounts (a bit like an auction, but the seller sees all offers, then picks and chooses which one to accept).

Obviously, some sellers do use it seemingly as a way to gain interest, with no intention of discounting the price by any amount etc, but voting with your wallet is pretty much the only thing you can do in those cases.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

Sometimes the offers that people make are really stupid you advertise for $100 or best offer and someone offers you $20 I am more than willing to go down in price but thats ridiculous.I usually offer around $20 off the price and then go up from there if the seller wants more.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

Well ppl were sending me offers and silly ones at that after I went and relisted some items and when I was looking at my listings there was this best offer thing which I dont remember doing. Well this time when i relisted I saw it was checked automatically and that is why it came up on my listings and getting offers. I had to go through and remove from my listings as it was just making unneccessary work with silly offers. Most my stuff is cheap anyway. So to me it was Ebay checking the box on every occassion not me.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

ooak3
Community Member

some sellers have no intention of reducing the price 

i made a fair offer a couple of days ago item was $349 they came back with a counter offer of $344 a saving of $5 

of coarse they lost that sale !!

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

I believe it's all in the way you ask!  I'm open to offers, & there is a space for offerers to send a message. If I have a good feeling about the transaction I will / would accept a lowish offer knowing a collectable will go to a good home, or that the person really needs the item at a reduced price. I've never made a counter offer as a seller; Though the facility is there for a seller to do so.

Sellers have to factor in selling fees from ebay & Paypal. along with postage costs, which are never free, no matter how much ebay wants them to be!  Maybe a polite question prior to your offer may be of help in obtaining a discount? Do please remember some sellers work on bare margins now that ebay prefers larger sellers rather than those smaller ones who built their business. 

Not all sellers are Target or Masters (part of the Woolies chain of stores) Some of us are just a person tapping on a keyboard who still likes to list correctly; pack appropriately; & provide customer service as best they can!

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

i never make offers on items unless they have the make an offer button and it was a very big shop seller so i dont know why they bothered putting a make an offer option on it was so stingy on a $350 item that it annoyed me and i didnt buy i might even have bought it if the option wasnt there at all lol

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Make and offer garbage.

boggo58
Community Member

@x321654 wrote:

I never offer more, if i put a offer in and its rejected i just keep offering less!

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply