Misleading voltage description in battery operated power tools

I recently purchased a power tool which was identified in the heading as 68VF, and in the description as Battery Voltage: 64V.

On doing some research I discovered that the terms 48VF, 68VF and 88VF are package descriptors (like AAA and AA for small batteries). They are *NOT* the voltage of the battery.

I checked a number of Ebay listings for this sort of equipment, and discovered that most of them had this incorrect description of the voltage.

There are two points which arise from this:

The first is that sellers should be advised that their descriptions are incorrect and misleading.

The second is that perhaps there can be some general advise to purchasers regarding this subject as I am not sure that this is common knowledge.

I look forward to further contact directly from Ebay on this matter.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

When did you let eBay know about this?

(no eBay staff read here, it is a member to member forum)

99% chance they will tell you what you want to hear (ie, they will look into the listings) but that will be as far as it goes (ie, nobody will look into the listings at all)

Are the sellers registered in China by any chance?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

@cpcarolan wrote:

I look forward to further contact directly from Ebay on this matter.

Unless you've contacted eBay directly you won't get a response just by posting on the boards, it's just members like yourself here.

Edit. Snap yankeebear Sandy.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks for your replies. I thought there was a suggestion somewhere that Ebay monitors this forum 😞

How exactly should I contact Ebay directly with this? I can't find any way of doing this.

I'm a bit unimpressed to hear that they won't actually do anything about it...

And yes, I suspect that most are local Chinese sellers of their own imported gear. Certainly the one I bought from was, as they have to ship a replacement charger from China when the one I received did not work at all.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@cpcarolan wrote:

How exactly should I contact Ebay directly with this? I can't find any way of doing this.

Use the "eBay help" link at the top of the page then scroll down when you've clicked on a relevant topic and use the "chat with us option.

Be aware that if it's a Chinese registered seller (look at their feedback for that information), eBay will probably do nothing about it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

With the greatest of respect.

Don't waste one nano second on trying to contact eBay.

Are you really waiting on a China based seller to send a replacement charger & expecting it to be of reasonable quality?

Do you look at seller's feedback to see where they are registered?

Power tools & the like should be purchased locally.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

And your replacement charger, like the original, will not be to Australian standards. Buy cheap, get cheap. With the bonus of not having insurance coverage when your house burns down.

I buy my electronic/electrical items from Australian registered companies. I'm sure, if I bothered to check, that my Stihl batteries and charger are as advertised. If they weren't, I would have real recourse. Which you don't.

Penny conscious, pound foolish.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

if it said 68V it would be misleading.  But if they say 68VF there is nothing misleading

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks again for your comments.

Firstly, i have purchased the majority of my power tools in Australia. Like my Bosch angle grinder (made in PRC), my Hitachi router (made in Singapore), my Carbatec thicknesser (parts list quotes all the Chinese names)... need i carry on? I suggest you look at the country of manufacture of all of your tools just to be sure.

Secondly, the description included the phrase "Battery Voltage: 68V". Definitely misleading.

Thirdy, I don't have my power tools in the house - they are all in the shed (just in case it burns down). Personally, I'd suggest you check the country of manufacture of all your white goods, TVs, PCs, Set top boxes, mobile phone chargers, etc ...

Lastly, I'll not bother to contact Ebay on your advice. A distinct case of the CBFs has set in.

Thanks for the all lectures. Over and out.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

We are all well aware of the country of MANUFACTURE... and buy from Australian sellers.

You are dealing with China bases sellers of cheap copies.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply