No way to tell if it's a multy listing

go-tazz
Community Member

The "brain/idiot/numbskull's" brigade at this site has no idea,shok.gif

Now they've allowed the Chinese sellers to put up a listing that looks standard,eg: as below but they are

actually multiple quantity listing,(which means members will look at listings that have a false price and get

frustrated and possibly leave the site or just stop searching,etc).

Check a few after:  More items related to 144pcs/lot Pokemon Action Figures New Cute Monster

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X144pcs%2Flot+Pokem...

Another stuff up to assist the Chinese based sellers that's going to backfire,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Having 144 in the title is probably the offending bit, as otherwise the listings would be ok TBH. (eBay's packaging store has quantity variations, so that in itself is ok, but only putting one of the available variations in the title is misleading. Sometimes I don't put any of the lot sizes in my titles if I have quantity variations, other times I put them all. i.e. it's all or nothing). 

Sometimes eBay will put a price range instead of a single (usually lowest) price in search results, which helps, so I wish they would do that in a uniform manner, too. Not to condone any of the sellers' dubious practices, but if you have your search preferences set to show the 'watch item' link in search results, it won't appear on any variation listings, so as a buyer that's one way to tell at a glance in search results if the listing has variations.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

What annoys me about this type of listing is that you cannot choose the one you want....they send them randomly.

Too bad if you were trying to make up a set and had most of them....you may never get the full set if you cannot say which ones you want.

It took me a while to realise that the deal was....it is certainly not obvious.   I can see the negs rolling in very soon.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I may be the odd one out here, but I can't see what they're doing wrong... Smiley Embarassed Smiley Embarassed

On the ones I looked at were normal variation listings that had varying prices, the quantity was clearly noted via a variant listing (I saw listings that offered 2, 3, 6...all the way up to 144). Although, in one of them they did have a different item (necklace) to have a $1~odd item, while the rest started from $4~ish. Am I missing the offending listings? Smiley Embarassed 

As for random mixes, that's pretty common and granted it can be annoying, but trading cards etc use this strategy.... I list random mixes of stuff too... (the worst type is when a company releases a small number - often 8 - of collectible figurines, but they're packaged in a way that conceals which one you get, so you if you want to collect each one, you either have to buy them until you have a complete set, or hope you know a few people who want to do the same that you can trade with. I personally don't bother with those, but used to buy tons of cards).

Edited to add - I did see one seller was listing them in the bikes category, actually (they have about 11 FB, at 80~ish%), which is a common strategy of scammers. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Pocket bike category, definitely screams scammer. Plus they have immediate payment required for an $8 item. I know immediate payment doesn't mean scammer, but all the fake listings in pocket bikes or go karts always have immediate payment required.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I may be the odd one out here, but I can't see what they're doing wrong... Smiley Embarassed Smiley Embarassed

If you look at the first one after the More items related to 144pcs/lot Pokemon Action Figures New Cute Monster 

It has 144pcs Pokemon monster Mini and has a price of $9.66 on it but if you go into the listing it's actually a

multiple/choice listing that offers 24,48,72,96,120,144 pieces or a Pikachu necklace and the price for the 144

pieces has gone up to over $25

Multi.PNG

The one further down at $9.66 is similar.

There is now way of knowing that either isn't a standard listing and the price stated is not the price of the 144

pieces,(so it;s deceptive by the seller and frustrating for the buyers).

Another weird bit was that I put the first one in my watch list to keep an eye on it and selected the 144 option

and the one in search result changed the price to the over $25 price,(deleted it and it went back to $9.66).

Sounds like normal deception by this site,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Having 144 in the title is probably the offending bit, as otherwise the listings would be ok TBH. (eBay's packaging store has quantity variations, so that in itself is ok, but only putting one of the available variations in the title is misleading. Sometimes I don't put any of the lot sizes in my titles if I have quantity variations, other times I put them all. i.e. it's all or nothing). 

Sometimes eBay will put a price range instead of a single (usually lowest) price in search results, which helps, so I wish they would do that in a uniform manner, too. Not to condone any of the sellers' dubious practices, but if you have your search preferences set to show the 'watch item' link in search results, it won't appear on any variation listings, so as a buyer that's one way to tell at a glance in search results if the listing has variations.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

digital*ghost wrote:Not to condone any of the sellers' dubious practices, but if you have your search preferences set to show the 'watch item' link in search results, it won't appear on any variation listings, so as a buyer that's one way to tell at a glance in search results if the listing has variations.

It's strange but I haven't changed anything but that Watch with the "eye" in front of it has now appeared on my

searches,(it doesn't appear on their multi listings)shok.gif

As long as it stays it's easy to avoid the dubious practises,good.gif

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply