Overcharging on postage

I recently purchased some trousers and when they arrived the postage was only $6.60 even though the seller had stated it was $11.50. They came wrapped in some brown paper and a plastic bag. I emailed the seller and said that I thought it was a bit expensive and she said that all eBayers overcharge postage to cover for interstate costs and that she was really time pressed and that she had more urgent things to think about than refunding me. I was taken aback, because I go out of my way to make postage as cheap as possible. I also told her about the postage calculator by postcode that she could use. She thinks I am just an unhappy eBayer and stated so. She has a 100% feedback and I am reluctant to give her a negative. I also stated that in her listing she should state that her postage covers all states. What do you think?

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Overcharging on postage

I think that if you bought the item and paid the asking price for the postage then now is not the time to be communicating with the seller regarding postage cost.  Rate them appropriately in the DSRs you leave.  Don't mention high postage in your feedback comment or it will look like you are " just an unhappy eBayer".  Leave something like "Ok" as I think this says more than it looks (and I think sellers hate a feedback like that).  I would also wait a few days or even a week before leaving feedback.  Let the heat be removed from your thoughts regading the seller.

If your 'total spend' was acceptable to you at time of purchase then what is the problem?  This is especially true of Buy-Now items.  Was it an auction item or a Buy-Now item?  For auction items, ask about postage before bidding.  If you don't like the answer you get from the seller then don't bid.  If they won't reduce the postage then bid lower to factor that in AND let the seller know that you and probably others will be doing so.

Basically, the time to question postage costs with a seller is BEFORE bidding/buying.

Overcharging on postage

Thanks. I see your point.

Message 3 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

cjm2589
Community Member

the only time I have messaged a seller asking for refund on postage paid was when I paid about $12 for express postage and the item arrived wrapped in plain brown paper sent regular for about $6.  I ended up getting $6 refund because the seller did not send the way they said they would.

If your seller has charged for a more expensive postal service than the one actually used then your complaint is justified.  If they have sent exactly as the description said it would be then move on.

Message 4 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

The other thing to consider is that it actually takes time and money to take a parcel to the Post Office, I'm not advocating that sellers should over charge but really we also need to consider the time and money involved esp for those in rural areas.

I agree with the first poster the time to question postage is before you bid and pay.

Message 5 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

Seems like seller has quoted for  over 500gm parcel. Item has turned out to be less than 500gm. They have kept the difference.

If you had bought a "free post" item for same total, you wouldn't be complaining and there would be no issue.

All you can do is mark down postage cost stars.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

nouveau_retro
Community Member

I would 'suggest' that as the overall cost was about 1/10 of new for designer jeans - including prompt delivery to your door - that you should let it go. 

Message 7 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

iamanark
Community Member

โ€œand she said that all eBayers overcharge postageโ€

I take great offence at that comment

In 9 years of selling I have never even charged a handling charge, and if postage has been cheaper than quoted, I have ALWAYS given a refund of the difference

"she had more urgent things to think about than refunding me"

That "smart" statement alone would be enough to earn a neg from me

NEG her and leave a one for communication and postage charges

It is people like that who give honest aBayers a bad name

Message 8 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

nouveau_retro
Community Member

considering they've charged an extra 4.90 and buyer agreed to post cost when purchasing, negs are for scammers, not someone with an allowable (if rather high compared to actual post cost) handling charge.

Message 9 of 57
Latest reply

Overcharging on postage

I agree with the first poster the time to question postage is before you bid and pay.

Before the OP bid they assumed that the seller has entered valid info into the calculator, and the sum showing is what the postage will cost.

If the postage was 1/2 of listed cost, the seller is making money on postage and ripping eBay off on fees = that means all the honest sellers, who only charge dollar or so for handling (or do not charge handling at all) are supporting those who do not pay their fair share.

Message 10 of 57
Latest reply