Oz post at its finest , again.. :(

For quicker delivery and less cost , this parcel was lodged at my post office for delivery to my PO box, Same post office remember !

Mon 15 Dec 2014 13:15

Received by Australia Post

SPRINGWOOD QLD

Tue 16 Dec 2014 08:23

Processed through Australia Post facility

UNDERWOOD QLD

Wed 17 Dec 2014 03:46

In transit

UNDERWOOD QLD

Wed 17 Dec 2014 06:57

Awaiting Collection at SPRINGWOOD POST SHOP

SPRINGWOOD QLD

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

So if it was lodged at your PO, could they not have just put it in your PO box? Surely the sender of said parcel paid for postage, so why would they send it to the sorting centre?? Absolutely ridiculous. 

On the other side of the coin, I recently sent a parcel from central western NSW to a remote location in FNQ. I messaged the buyer saying it could take 2-3 weeks due to his location and also the time of year that it is. FOUR DAYS was all it took. Why can they get it so right sometimes, yet others, get it so wrong? Sadly, the buyer still trashed my stars for my effort, but that's another story for another day.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Mail handling systems are set up to deal with bulk. Every letter or parcel posted at the Post Office goes into the box/bag for collecting by the people who take it to the sorting centre. This is the only way the gazillions of posted items (particularly at this time of year) can be handled effectively.

If counter staff (or the person emptying the post boxes) read every address to see if it was for local delivery, the whole process would grind to a halt.

Whilst this example looks like a case of bureacracy gone crazy, it's that very bureacracy that enable the effective delivery of thousands of items a day ( even if one item has to go around the block a few times first).

Safe and happy Christmas to all - especially our Postal woerkers.....

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

So you would have been happier if they had just read the address and put the parcel straight in the buyer's box so there were no tracking events recorded after lodgement so no proof of delivery? Not somethng I would be happy to see.

I have been amazed at just how quickly parcels are being delivered, I have received feedback on a few items within 3 days, definitely not local, of them having been posted so no complaints here.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I am also finding my parcels arriving very quickly.

I get regular parcels from suburban Adelaide which are usually delivered on the 4th business day to me in Sydney.

The parcel posted last Friday arrived very early on Tuesday...the 3rd business day. 

All the items I paid for last week have arrived except one that was only posted on Monday....and they are not just local parcels.

But I can empathise with the item that was for delivery at the PO where it was posted.

A few years ago I need to get a letter to a solicitor in Parramatta before Christmas and there were only 3 business days.  We drove to Parramatta on Sunday and posted it in the box at the PO where it was to be delivered.  It did arrive on Chistmas Eve but not before it came back the a mail exchange in the next suburb to where we lived.  I could have saved the petrol and posted at the mail exchange.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

They may have to send it 'via the system' to validate tracking.

Systems are never practical, but they treat everyone the same.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

It was specifically lodged as a Local parcel for delivery to the same post office as lodgement and as such , yes the counter staff are supposed to look at the address , then scan it and place it in the appropriate box,  this is a service offered for just such a situation. not throw it in the sack to go to the sorting centre.

That's fine if you think otherwise , just ask your local post office , a little known, rarely used service.

and without reading the address , how else would they know how to calculate postage?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Some old fashioned common sense would not go astray - seems a cumbersome way of going about things.

Shouldn't the counter staff scan/log it anyway at point of lodgement, I am sure there would be some log/record

of it and even if they are too busy or unable to place item directly in the box wouldn't/couldn't it be placed in a

rack/tub for the box sorters? Perhaps the package should have been addressed to such and such c/-

Poste restante instead. Wonder how the staff would treat that one?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

So you would have been happier if they had just read the address and put the parcel straight in the buyer's box so there were no tracking events recorded after lodgement so no proof of delivery? Not somethng I would be happy to see.

I have been amazed at just how quickly parcels are being delivered, I have received feedback on a few items within 3 days, definitely not local, of them having been posted so no complaints here.

Lol PJ how funny ....

Post offices are able to scan and record a range of tracking events - including delivered, it ain't rocket science Cat LOL

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@keyrings wrote:

For quicker delivery and less cost , this parcel was lodged at my post office for delivery to my PO box, Same post office remember !

Mon 15 Dec 2014 13:15

Received by Australia Post

SPRINGWOOD QLD

Tue 16 Dec 2014 08:23

Processed through Australia Post facility

UNDERWOOD QLD

Wed 17 Dec 2014 03:46

In transit

UNDERWOOD QLD

Wed 17 Dec 2014 06:57

Awaiting Collection at SPRINGWOOD POST SHOP

SPRINGWOOD QLD

Not surprised at all.

Parcel sent from interstate, arrived in Melb (Sunshine delivery centre) then on to Cranbourne delivery centre.

Parcel attempted delivery but it required a signature, I wasn't there so it went to my local PO and was carded.

I filed the online parcel transfer request as I can't collect parcels from my PO.

Got the automated reply.....then.....nothing.

Waited a week, phoned AP customer service, they notified local PO parcel was to be transferred.

Was the parcel put in their van (as part of their usual daily delivery) to preferred sub agency approx 5km up the road?  Was it heck.

They sent it back to Sunshine who then sent it to Seaford who (thankfully) sent it on to the sub agency where I was finally able to collect it.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply