PayPal Email

I just got a payment notification from PayPal - the usual thing.

You sent a payment of $14.88 AUD to seller id. It included an item number.

I have NOT BOUGHT THAT ITEM.  Is this a spoof email? OR has someone hacked my PayPal? I checked and the payment is not on my Paypal account yet.

It came from services@inc-paypal.com.au. Is that a valid paypal email?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

PayPal Email

the other thing - I tried to change my password in Paypal - through the normal login - and it now asks for bank account and credit card numbers before it allows you to change password - is that valid? 

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

j*oono
Community Member

It sounds like a spoof email.  If you've check your paypal account and it's not there then it definitely is.

I paid for something with paypal and the confirmation email came from service@paypal.com.au and it was addressed to my full name.

Fake emails usually don't use your full name.

Joono
Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

Just checked my emails. J*oono beat me to it.

paypal notifications come from service@paypal.com.au

I'm sorry, I don't know what the current requirements are for changing passwords. You could ring them up.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

It doesn't sound right to me that you need to give bank details but not sure.  How did you log in.  Not through an email link I hope?

Joono
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

This email just said "Hello ," in the greeting, so it's probably a spoof. I haven't clicked on any links contained. I have reported it to Paypal.

Still that password change is a little sus? I logged in using the proper Paypal link and my Paypal Id but it would be an ideal way for a spam site to get your bank account / card numbers.  Does anyone know?

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

I got one too and sent it to spoof@paypal...............they sent me back a message saying it was spam and not to open any link on it.

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

@purple_haize wrote:

I got one too and sent it to spoof@paypal...............they sent me back a message saying it was spam and not to open any link on it.

how do they get away with an id like that with 'paypal.com.au' in it? Surely there must be some limitations on what email id you can use?

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

OK guys and gals - thanks for that.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

PayPal Email

It's a phishing Email,(that's the current one they use).

The bolded blue bit is what they keep changing,services@inc-paypal.

They will generally have a link for you to "check" if it's "incorrect",(which it is off course).

Forward it and then do a complete virus and anti spyware scan,(if you've opened the Email you may have

downloaded a Keylogger or Trojan).

I logged in using the proper Paypal link and my Paypal Id but it would be an ideal way for a spam site to get your bank account / card numbers.

Which proper link?

Paypal will never ask for your banking details,(they have other checks in place if you want to change your

password or personnel info).

Ring Paypal and let them know what's going on.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply