Payment made but record of payment does not exist any more

Hi folks... A long winded question but one which I have failed to find an answer to. I made a purchase a long while ago (2020, possibly June/July) for an item which has since become faulty (BV dash cam) and I am trying in vain to locate a receipt, of sorts as proof of purchase. Now, I KNOW there are limitations with a buyer's purchase history and accept this 100%. However my issue is this - searching through my own feedback I discovered that positive feedback was received on July 29, 2020 ( I know this because choosing to reply to the positive feedback from the seller brings up a second window displaying the date on which the seller's feedback was left) after I purchased the item. Now, you think, armed with this I would be able to narrow my PayPal transaction history down to a period of time BEFORE and AFTER July 29, 2020 but I cannot see any transaction in my PayPal history listing this purchase. It simply does not exist in amongst other eBay purchases and other PayPal transactions. I have reached out to the seller, who does indeed still exist, in the hope they would be able to offer some guidance and am currently waiting on a reply although I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way - buyers do have a responsibility, after all. I was just curious if anyone else happened to have had this happen to them. 

*PayPal was the only available payment method. 

**Printing receipts for big ticket items is just so 2006. Ugh.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

This is almost 3 years ago - I'd say any warranty  - LOL - worthless.

PP offer 180 days - not 3 years.

So what exactly is the question. ??

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

As you are aware, you are not going to get any help from ebay, which only covers items not arriving or not being as described when they do arrive. It doesn't cover warranties.

Neither does paypal.

I presume you are trying to get the item fixed under warranty.

If I were you, I'd directly contact the company that made the item. See where you would need to take it or send it in order to have it repaired. Without a proper receipt of some kind (either from emails or the paper kind), I think you will probably have to pay for the repairs.

If ever you are buying 'big ticket' items, an important part of that should be the warranty. Unless you are buying from an authorised seller on ebay, any warranty offered may be useless. What I am saying is ebay may not be the best place to buy some things.

Printed receipts might feel outdated but I know when I have bought a lot of things online (not necessarily from ebay), I have usually been sent an itemised email statement which liosts date, item, amount paid.

It would probably pay to have a folder where you keep those sorts of documents.

PS If the transaction definitely is not there in paypal, is it possible you paid by bank deposit? Or could the payment in paypal be under a different company name to what you were expecting?

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply