Paypal Cash Grab

Hi all, just like to share this Paypal experience. Purchased an item with cleared funds in my Paypal account, no problems. Then came the  problem, Paypay then dipped into my debit card bank account and took the funds again. I have the debit card linked to Paypal for when Paypal is empty, as many members do. Ok, I can withdraw the funds back, but hey, that means they will have free use of that money yet again, and as it is now the weekend, for a few days. They had no right to take bank account funds when my Paypal account was showing an ''available balance''. Will be giving them a blast this morning.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Paypal Cash Grab

I think if you read their terms and conditions you will see that they state they may use an alternative funding source and you have agreed to those terms when you signed up so what are you going to 'blast' Papal with? Sticking to their own policies?

I have the opposite problem, I always want my purchases paid for using my card for the extra protection so have to withdraw funds before I can pay for anything.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal Cash Grab

That's sounds like pure theft by paypal. By all means give them a good blast. Then contact Acorn, because that should not be happenning.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal Cash Grab

lol, I have had the odd refund go that way as a seller refunding a buyer.

And the buyer has to wait 3 to 5 business days to get the money.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal Cash Grab

I would never leave a balance in PayPal, I would prefer to have the $ in my bank account.

Each time you make a purchase, you nominate where the funds are sourced from (bank account or credit card), and it is very clear before you select to pay.  If PayPal took funds from your bank account you may not have actually had money sitting in PayPal.  Some people see the last transaction on their PayPal summary and might think that is the balance.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal Cash Grab

@casbit33 wrote:

That's sounds like pure theft by paypal. By all means give them a good blast. Then contact Acorn, because that should not be happenning.

What is ACORN going to do?

Paypal took the money from a bank account rather than available funds. Hardly theft.

And at current rates, the interest foregone by the OP or the interest made by Paypal is miniscule.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal Cash Grab

Yes, even though I do have an authorized funding transfer from my bank account, that is only to be used to "top up" my Paypal account as needed, not to take funds when the Paypal account has cleared funds available to cover the purchase. I did give them a blast and the funds were returned in a matter of hours, but without a real explanation of what went wron g in Paypal's system. leaves much doubt in my mind regarding this bank account linkup, because they can just transfer willy nilly again, and blame it on "the system". Maybe best to just manually transfer funds as required, even if it does slow things up a little.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal Cash Grab

Do not leave any money in PayPal.  There is no advantage to doing that, except if you are providing a refund to a buyer.  If there are already funds in PayPal they will receive their refund quicker.

Paypal don't transfer "willy nilly".  Each time you make a payment through PayPal, you are asked where you would like the funds sourced from and you can go no further until you 'confirm' that.

If you are still not satisfied with why they took the action they did, you need to persist in finding out why (speak to a PayPal supervisor), otherwise it will keep happening.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Paypal Cash Grab

@cathyjoyjoy wrote:

Do not leave any money in PayPal.  There is no advantage to doing that, except if you are providing a refund to a buyer.  If there are already funds in PayPal they will receive their refund quicker.

Paypal don't transfer "willy nilly".  Each time you make a payment through PayPal, you are asked where you would like the funds sourced from and you can go no further until you 'confirm' that.

If you are still not satisfied with why they took the action they did, you need to persist in finding out why (speak to a PayPal supervisor), otherwise it will keep happening.

I pay my phone, internet and ecigarette supplies with Paypal. Also my eBay fees.

I always leave money in my Paypal account, and if there is ever a problem, I can refund almost immediately (from my end).

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply