Paypal Dispute closed and won, but did not receive address for return of the item! ?

G'day everyone.  i opened a paypal case for item is not as described and the seller did not respond to the given time so i won the case. I just got an email from paypal that they decided in my favour and saying "We were able to recover $... AUD, and this amount has been credited to you. Please allow 5 business days for this adjustment to be posted."  And in the 'what to do next' part of the email it says "No further action is required at this time. Was i suppose to recieve the sellers address to send back the item for return before the getting the refund ???

The paypal case procces was meant to be 'Open a dispute -> Escalation -> Awaiting for other party's response -> Requiring my response -> Being reviewed by PayPal -> Item return -> Closed. 

But when the seller did not respondit skipped the proccess of requiring my response,being reviewed by paypal and ITEM RETURN. The case just closed and i got the email that i won the dispute and said the refund has been credited to me. 

Was it suppose to skip those proccess since the seller did not response?

Wasn't i suppose to receive the address of the seller to send the item back and when paypal has confirmed that they recieved the item then i get the refund ?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Paypal Dispute closed and won, but did not receive address for return of the item! ?

No, you do not always have to return the item if the seller does not bother to respond to a dispute. 

I would retain the item however, in case the seller appeals paypal's decision and item return is required down the track, which I think is unlikely given paypals recent advice to you, however better safe than sorry.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Hi Matey, I've never had that happen to me, but if this is what PayPal have said, it looks like because the seller did not respond, the case has been found in your favour and you don't have to return the goods.

I think that you can request the sellers details either through PayPal or eBay, so the right thing to do would be to try and return the goods especially  if it isn't going to cost you too much money.

but it seems that is only a moral obligation, not a PayPal one, so you don't have to.

However, just keep an eye out in case the seller appeals, they may then have another look at the case and ask for the oitem's return

But you have done nothing wrong, so don't worry, ok?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I beg to differ, IMO it is not a moral obligation to return goods that are not as described. 

IMO the moral obligation is on a seller to pay for the return of items not as described - out of their own pocket.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

no worries cats, you can beg all ya want!

but sure, in an ideal world the seller would offer to pay return, but we know that had they have responded to PayPal then they would have been instructed to return at their cost.

The buyer now has the goods and the money - it is my opinion that they have at least a moral obligation to return one or the other.

Sincere apologies that my opinion does not agree with yours.

just because the seller does something wrong, doesn't mean the buyer should too.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I have requested the seller's information through ebay when i tried contacting him, but it did not come with a specific adress. How do you request for information through paypal? If it is possible.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I don't know matey, maybe try and ring them?

i always thought the info was there kind of on the right hand side of the invoice, but I may be wrong. (usually am)

Was there an address on the package that you received?

I think it is really nice that you are making an effort to return the goods, even though you don't have to.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Unless paypal have requested you to return the item to the seller it is unlikely they will provide you with the sellers address.

If you purchase goods from an Australian Business, under Consumer Law, consumers are not required to meet the costs of returning goods where the cost to do so is unreasonable in relation to the value of the goods.

There is nothing at all wrong with not returning the goods in this situation. If the seller wants them returned, I would wait until they contact you. 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

but sure, in an ideal world the seller would offer to pay return, but we know that had they have responded to PayPal then they would have been instructed to return at their cost.

Whilst anecdotally it seems to be the usual action required, this is not always the case.  They may have been instructed to return the goods if the seller had responded, however it is not a given.  The seller may have agreed to a refund without return, or alternatively Paypal may decide to issue a refund without return for a range of reasons.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

The thing is that i doubt that the seller will contact me since the seller did not respond to any of the messages i have sent regarding to  opening the dispute and the seller did not respond at all to the dispute. I guess i will keep the item in the same condition for a couple of weeks and wait if the seller contacts me. If not i will probably just keep it.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply