Paypal buyer protection ??

trebs36
Community Member

I recently purchased a used ethernet switch (item 140881193490) from a seller whose feedback looked OK.

Switch arrived OK but without a power adapter meaning the switch is useless unless I can find a 12V 1 amp power adapter and then the switch may be dead anyway. There was nothing in the listing to suggest it did not have the adapter.

Not much money to get upset about but after zero response from the seller I lodged a dispute with Paypal. I have just received email from Paypal stating it is reviewing the case. I checked the dispute file and much to my surprise the seller has stated "adapter enclosed" which is absolute rubbish.

It comes down to his word against mine and it will be interesting to see which way this goes. If it go against me, despite it only being $17 odd, it will change my email buying. It will indicate that feedback, particularly for private sellers, is not such a good guide.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If Paypal found in your favour,you'd need to return to the seller via registered or click n send.But as you've said,it would still come down to your word against sellers.

In this particular instance,I'd say just leave them a factual negative & move on-I doubt whether it would be worth returning & you wouldn't get a refund of the return postage cost either.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

trebs36
Community Member

Thank you foxette-in-sox you are correct.

I have never left negative feedback. If I do can the seller come back at me with negative feedback?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you foxette-in-sox you are correct.

I have never left negative feedback. If I do can the seller come back at me with negative feedback?

No & if they leave a positive with a negative comment,just report to ebay,comment will be removed & seller will cop a policy violation.

Sellers haven't been able to leave negs for abournd 4 years.

I'd put something like

Seller failed to disclose no adapter included

Whatever you decide to write,DON'T use capital letters,abuse,name calling etc-just keep it factual & professional.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

trebs36
Community Member

Fantastic! I will write exactly what you suggested. At least it's some warning to future potential buyers.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Just to be fair on the seller nowhere do they say the adapter IS included nor is one included in the photos so if they had pointed that out to Paypal you may very well have lost the case anyway.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Just to be fair on the seller nowhere do they say the adapter IS included nor is one included in the photos so if they had pointed that out to Paypal you may very well have lost the case anyway.

You missed this PJ

I have just received email from Paypal stating it is reviewing the case. I checked the dispute file and much to my surprise the seller has stated "adapter enclosed" which is absolute rubbish

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply