Paypal have asked me to file a Police report, the police have said "no"

Hi, I have received an email from paypal asking me to file a police report.

I bought 11 records from a seller in Germany a few months ago.

One records was missing from the order. Two of the records sleeves were damaged due to bad packing.

The seller had promised to send out a new record and replacement sleeves, but after waiting and waiting, i received nothing.

By this time it was too late to put in an ebay dispute, but I was however, able to open a paypal dispute.

I rang paypal and spoke to them. They seemed all to happy to help. I was just going to claim for the record that did not arrive, but the lady I spoke to encouraged me to claim for the two damaged sleeves as well.

The email I received from paypal has asked me to file a police report. I went to the police station this morning and was told that they will not get involved.

It would be tempting to drop the whole thing, because the stress is not worth it. But at the same time I want to pursue it as a matter of principle.

Has any one been a similar situation? 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

the police are probably not prepared to get involved because the records were bought from an overseas seller.  Pretty hard to conduct interviews, gather evidence and conduct an investigation in these circumstances.

I'd be inclined to contact PayPal and point this out to them . . . . . while also asking if a stat dec would do in this case. 

Hopefully someone else will be along to offer help and advice.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Hi, yes , you have hit the nail on the head!

That is exactly what the police said. I thought the officer was quite reasonable in the way he explained it.

I mean, this seller is in Germany, what can the police here in Australia do? 

I am sure that the police do have more important things to do.

I personally think paypal is unfair for asking this in the first place.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I was going to say, I'm afraid to say....it sounds like paypal are just trying to 'pass the buck' Woman Frustrated

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@feedme-ifudare wrote:

I personally think paypal is unfair for asking this in the first place.

a duly completed and witnessed statutory declaration should satisfy PayPal.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for that advise.

I will give it go.

I guess this is where I google "statutory declaration "

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

If you do a Stat Dec make sure you do not sign it until you find someone to witness it for you.

There are a number of people who can witness it.....not only a JP as it used to be.  But whoever witnesses it must witness you signing it....that is what they are witnessing, not the actual information in the Declaration.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@feedme-ifudare wrote:

Hi, thanks for that advise.

I will give it go.

I guess this is where I google "statutory declaration "

you can buy the standard form stat dec at most newsagents.  You just make a statement in the space provided then do as lyndal says and get it properly witnessed.  I've only ever had to make one stat dec (not eBay related) and it is not a difficult or cumbersome procedure.  Also, you can go to your local police statement to get it witnessed.

Good luck

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you to every one.

I was feeling pretty stressed about it, now I know I can handle it.

Cheers

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Some shopping centers also have JPs on Saturdays who will witness and sign a stat dec  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply