Postage costs under the GSP, and am I covered by the MBG?

I've read a lot on the boards in the past about the GSP but what I need to know is whether the postage cost in the listing is all I'll have to pay, or whether there's a further charge later on.  It says in the explanation for the GSP that there are two postal charges but I don't know whether both are covered are in the initial postage charge I see in the listing.  Can someone who's purchased using the GSP help me?

Also, I know the seller is protected against any claims when they use GSP but if the item isn't exactly as described am I still covered with the money back guarantee?  The seller's feedback is quite good and their description seems quite good, but I've had my fingers burnt so many times that I'm wary.  This is an item that's hard to get anywhere and I've been after it for a while, otherwise I'd ignore it and buy elsewhere.  It'll cost me $160 and is in the US.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

US $160 for just shipping ?

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Sorry, the total cost showing (item + postage) is almost $160 AU. The postage is over $60 AU but the total price is still very acceptable.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

If you are reading the listing you will see a postage price that says (no extra charges for Customs) or something like that.

That is the total postage you will pay...there will be nothing more when the item arrives here.

When you pay, the receipt will show 2 payments.....the payment to the seller for the item and the amount to Pitney Bowes for the actual postage.

Be prepared for a small variation in the amount paid due to exchange rates.

I have just done two GSP transactions.....one from the US and the other from the UK.

I could see the amounts I was supposed to pay but until I logged into paypal I could not see the amount in AU$. but I had a fair idea and had to pay it anyway.   When the transaction went through I could see the total amount in AU$ as well as the breakdown of item price and separate postage....which did not add up to exactly the same amount.  I could not work it out but just shrugged as it was in my favour.

I saved something like AU$1.20 on a $20 transaction and $2.00 on the $50.

What was even stranger was the the amounts taken from my bank account were even lower.  I can't explain it but I was not about to complain as it was in my favour all the way.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If you are reading the listing you will see a postage price that says (no extra charges for Customs) or something like that.

That is the total postage you will pay...there will be nothing more when the item arrives here.

When you pay, the receipt will show 2 payments.....the payment to the seller for the item and the amount to Pitney Bowes for the actual postage.

Be prepared for a small variation in the amount paid due to exchange rates.

I have just done two GSP transactions.....one from the US and the other from the UK.

I could see the amounts I was supposed to pay but until I logged into paypal I could not see the amount in AU$. but I had a fair idea and had to pay it anyway.   When the transaction went through I could see the total amount in AU$ as well as the breakdown of item price and separate postage....which did not add up to exactly the same amount.  I could not work it out but just shrugged as it was in my favour.

I saved something like AU$1.20 on a $20 transaction and $2.00 on the $50.

What was even stranger was the the amounts taken from my bank account were even lower.  I can't explain it but I was not about to complain as it was in my favour all the way.

Thanks for your comments, Lyndal. What I'm concerned about is the bit in the terms and conditions of the GSP that says this, especially the bit I've got in blue:

1. Risk of Loss. The risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with your Seller until the GSP Item is accepted at the US or UK Shipping Center or has been returned to your Seller by Pitney Bowes from the US or UK Shipping Center. Subject to any statutory rights you may have, the risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to you when the GSP Item leaves the US or UK Shipping Center for export.

It's from this page:  http://pages.ebay.com.au/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

I assume it means that if it gets lost after it leaves Pitney Bowes that I can't claim under paypal or ebay's MBG.  I read the pages on buying under the GSP and on the MBG but they keep referring to one another without actually spelling anything out, except for the above bit that I've got in blue.

I always allow 3 or 4% extra to what shows in the listing, to allow for exchange rate conversions.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Sorry, but I really cannot offer any insight into those terms.

Thankfully the only item I had go missing when the GSP was used was lost before it got to Pitney Bowes....the seller just could not find where it had been dispatched and he took full responsibility.

It certainly looks as though you are being told too bad, so sad, suck it up, we have lost your item.

It certainly explains a lot of the posters who have come here complaining of the difficulty they have finding out where items have disappeared to.

If you really, really want the item then pay through paypal and fund the payment with a credit card or Visa debit card.   That will give you the highest level of protection that you can get.....if the paypal dispute fails you can fall back on a chargeback.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, cross your fingers and pray....you will go mad if you try and uderstand all the half truths in the GSP terms.   All I know is that if anything does go wrong the buyer is not going to win when dealing with them.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I think I've already gone mad from trying to figure some of ebay's terms and conditions, and not just on the GSP!  Smiley Frustrated  The GSP t&c's are pretty easy to read, but just don't say much.  

Yes, I did think I'd empty my paypal account so that it came off my credit card, but these days I tend to err on the side of caution, ie. "if in doubt, DON'T".  I've been thinking about this item for a couple of weeks but she's reduced it by 10% and I also have a 10% off voucher at the moment so I started thinking about it again.  I'm actually surprised it hasn't sold by now, but perhaps others are also put off by the GSP.  

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Sorry, I meant to say thanks for your input. I was going to say that in my last post but got distracted.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

In regards to the postage cost, it says "no added import charges at delivery", meaning any customs duties are paid by them on your behalf, instead of you having to pay it when you collect your parcel. If the item is over the import threshold, there is a figure amount where it would say $0.00 for you.

No import charges payable

gsp no import charges.jpg

Import charges payable which they pay on your behalf (but obviously you pay them first!)

gsp import charges.jpg

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Tippy, according to the MBG, import charges aren't the same thing as custom duties and taxes.

On this page http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/shipping-globally.html it says this:

Import charges are in addition to the customs duties and taxes imposed by country tax and customs officials. For additional information about applicable fees, see the eBay Global Shipping Program Buyer Terms & Conditions.

Also, if you read the above terms and conditions it says this (under 7e, not 1):

1. Exclusions. You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you or the collection center near you that is designated by Pitney Bowes.

I know it's rare that we pay anything but this could be a trap if/when they do change the limits.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply