Price changing when I select the colour of an item to BIN

fredblow
Community Member

I'm looking for a Pulse Oximeter. (They measure blood oxygen content)

Several sellers show what I want at less than $5 (including postage) in the search window, but their prices change to more than $30 when I select the colour.  (The same happens whatever colour I select).

That seems seriousy shonky to me - is it reportable?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

fred, just had a quick look at them and most of them are from China, Hong Kong etc. The FB is pretty dire !!! IMO, I wouldn't bother trying to get a cheap 1 and certainly not one from China.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

because they usually have a cheap case listed which shows the lowest price but then the actual item cost shows once selected.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

fred, to be quite honest with you, most Pharmarcies sell these. I would go into your local one and see whats on offer there. Anything to do with your health & wellbeing, is not worth buying a cheap one online. These things need to be accurate or they are no use to you at all.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

fred, to be quite honest with you, most Pharmarcies sell these. I would go into your local one and see whats on offer there. Anything to do with your health & wellbeing, is not worth buying a cheap one online. These things need to be accurate or they are no use to you at all.

I couldn't agree more. As someone who knows a fair bit about them due to the nature of my job, don't buy one from China. Especially if you are depending on it for health. If it's for a health issue as opposed to just wanting to check your O2 levels during exercise, it could literally mean the difference between life and death. 

A cheap one may not fit correctly, therefore giving an incorrect reading. It might say your O2 level is at 99 or 100% when it actual fact it's at a dangerous 85%. How would you know that it's calibrated correctly? Does it have an alarm letting you know that you have dropped below 90%? How accurate would the alarm be? WOuld the alarm be enough to wake you up if you were asleep?

I have seen how quickly O2 sats drop once they get below 85% (pretty darned quick). It will take 2-3 minutes of not breathing for it to drop to around 89%. It will take another 20-30 seconds (or sometimes less) for it to drop to 50%. 50% will see you unconscious with CO2 levels are very dangerous levels. 

There are some things that shouldn't be bought online and this is one of those things.

In answer to the Op's question, variations are allowed.....to a point. A seller can list half a dozen different colours of the same item e.g men's business shirts. However, a seller isn't supposed to have big variations in price like that. They will have their title as something like 3 bedroom house with the price showing as $1. When you go into the listing, the 3br house is actually $150,000, but for $1 you can get a curtain ring. Chinese sellers are really bad for it and eBay seems happy to let them do it, regardless of how much reporting gets done.

If you're going to buy stuff from China ALWAYS check their feedback, always thing twice before buying from a high volume seller with less than 99.6% and always check the category that the item is listed in. Shonky Chinese sellers have been listing in categories that don't have buyer protection, so when the buyer is ripped off, they can't make a claim through PayPal. If you're unsure, always pop in here and ask the experienced members first. There's usually always someone around.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Absolutely 100% spot on agree sheep with every aspect of your reply.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Hmmm, I think I should have read back over my reply before I posted it, there's a few errors in there!! (wrong words, not informational errors).

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

And could you please tell me where I can get a 3br house for $150,000.00?

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Plenty of them around here. One of the advantages to living in the country. Real estate is cheap!

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

j_ds_au
Community Member

Agree. I've seen something similar, a low default price, but all the variants are more. Sly/tricky sellers and a hole/holes in eBay's "checks and balances". Report it as a bug at least.

Joe.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply