Purchased locally returns are international

I purchased an item locally and immediately requested a cancellation of my order as it was the wrong item. Now the seller wants me to return to an international address. Does eBay allow this? I purposely purchased locally to minimise this risk, it's only fair that I should send the return to a local address.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I am a bit lost as to how you immediately cancelled the item as you have it in your possession.

If you received the item and it matches the listed description, then you have no recourse as a seller has no obligation to refund for change of mind.

The seller is right in saying you must return a change of mind item at your expense.

Annoying it was listed as in AUstralia, but you must always check where the seller is actually registered to confirm local, also delivery estimations can give you a clue

No doubt the negative feedback you left will do the trick, the seller even responded that you could have a local address to send it back to, so well done. I tink there is more to your story than meets the eye

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@silver_195 wrote:

I purchased an item locally and immediately requested a cancellation of my order as it was the wrong item. Now the seller wants me to return to an international address. Does eBay allow this? I purposely purchased locally to minimise this risk, it's only fair that I should send the return to a local address.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi silver_195,  I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma. I hope that you can work towards a solution for this.

I do have a strong belief that sellers who sell items should be set up to take returns from where they were dispatched.  Or better still, have it written in the description where the returns must go so that the customer knows what they're getting in to. 

In your case though it looks like it was an error on your part. Perhaps the way that the seller is set up they didn't have time to read your cancellation request, and the wheels were already in motion and it was too late to stop the item being dispatched. That would be understandable for a high volume seller which isn't really indicated by looking at the seller's FB for this month. Perhaps they have another account or sell other stuff elsewhere and are quite busy.

OK, you may not have received the item at your time of writing and you're faced with the issue of what to do with the item and getting your refund. Looking at the seller's reply to your feedback, it seems that they may offer you a local address to return the item to. I think in this case it should be up to you to cover the cost of the return. However, if the seller's set up needs improvement then perhaps you both could split the return cost. I have a feeling the seller may not have deliberately sent the item after you cancelled the order. I think it's just a matter of them having the items dispatched quickly. And the fact that the seller is based in China and the dispatcher is in Australia would strongly suggest this.  In a good situation, the seller could be commended for being on the job and having items sent out quickly.

Please see if you can find a more positive way to end this. I've looked at the seller's reply to you and it seems genuine. The only thing I can see wrong (if it is wrong) is that they have an inability to deal with immediate cancellations. Being not a regular issue, perhaps most sellers who have items dispatched from another city or country are the same. Anyway, there is always room for improvement. Like I indicated earlier, I'm not a fan of this kind of selling but it's been around for a long time. What must be remembered is that the seller is possibly a completely different business entity from the company / vendor dispatching the item and returning the item to the point of dispatch doesn't do much for the seller.

With the item, I take it that it's around $38. Being possibly your error as your post indicates and the fact that the seller couldn't deal with an immediate cancellation, you both could work it out. If you have to send it back to China it may cost you more than you want to wear. Worst case scenario is that you can keep the item, wear the cost and re-sell it and put it down to experience.

Anyway, I hope it goes in a way that is easiest for you.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Wow, off topic but is ebay now allowing comments in feedback that go well over the 80 character limit?

Onto your problem.

Whether you buy locally or internationally, a cancellation isn't necessarily an automatic right so you'd be best to double check ads before you commit to buy.

A seller is within his rights to refuse a cancellation or a change of mind return for that matter unless it is specifically allowed in their ad.

In your case, I would agree with 4channel that the delay could well have been because the seller is in one country and the warehouse for dispatch is here in Australia, so the item could well have been sent out before the message got to them.

However, I totally agree with you that when you buy an item that is listed as being sold in Australia, then you should not be required to return it to an overseas address. That's not on.

If we were talking about an item faulty in some way, I'd suggest contacting ebay via chat if any seller persisted in insisting on an overseas address.

But this seller doesn't appear to have done that. They have sent off the item quickly, there is nothing wrong with the item but they are allowing a cancellation and they are providing you with the Australian warehouse address (which they should have done straight off in my opinion, after seeing you bought on the Australian site). So it should all be good.

The only thing is that because it is a change of mind cancellation, you'll be up for return postage costs and even in Aust they aren't cheap. 

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Hey springy - 500 character limit as of a couple months ago I think.

Quite the novel can now be written LOL - good for the seller in this case though - Good they had the chance to prove themselves professional by replying in a respectful manner to the ranting dummy spit the buyer left.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Wow, 80 to 500. Someone at ebay had a major change of mind. I know back in the distant past, ebay users in USA used to be able to make long comments and replies. Saw some ding dong battles.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

it does happen bit now days

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

What happens ?

Really long feedback or misrepresentation of a sellers item?

or is this a lead in post ?

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply