Purchasing from German seller - currency change

cezm
Community Member

Just wondering what I have done!

I purchased an item from a German seller a couple of weeks ago. The price was in AUD and the title and description were in English. There was a statement in the description that says The description of this item has been automatically translated. The item has arrived and all is good.

In the meantime I purchased another item on another ID - everything also in English

I have just gone to purchase more. The items in my watchlist are in English and AUD but when I go in to the store or view any other listings they are in German and Euros.

Is there a button I have missed?! If not, I guess I now need to make 2 purchases through the cart - 1 in each currency?

Listing in English (for me) 183235709251

Listing in German 182377294076

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have never seen that on an ebay.au listing but I think you are right....you will have to make 2 separate payments in 2 different currencies.

Have you looked to see if he has the German language items listed in Enflish as well.  I have noticed that overseas sellers who list in several currencies usually have the same items in each currency.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

The currency reflects the site on which you are viewing the item or items in question.

If you view them in eBay.com.au, you will see the automatically converted price in AUD, which is of course an estimate at that time. You'll also see the eBay text (not the seller's text) automatically translated to English if it was listed in another language.

If you go to eBay.de (eBay Germany), you will see the original listing as inserted by the seller.

I note that the first item number is for an item which the seller (although LOCATED and registered in Germany) has listed in English. Not only that, but the seller has listed this item on eBay.com.au even though the item is in Germany. That means that the price is stated by the seller in Australian dollars.

(Note that even though the price is stated in Australian dollars, and is listed on eBay.com.au, it will still attract the GST charge for low-value imported items.)

The second item, listed by the same seller, was NOT listed on eBay.com.au; rather, it was listed on eBay.de. The price, when you view it on eBay.de, is EUR 7,90/Stk. (which means 7.90 euros per piece). The text used by the seller is German.

If you view that same item on eBay.com.au, the price shows as EUR 7.90 (and beneath is stated Approximately AU $12.94).

I hope that all makes sense!

EDIT: The second item is also listed by that seller on eBay.com.au. Item number 183235709509.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Not this time Countess......I checked both the item numbers and they were both on ebay.au.

This is why I said I have never seen it before.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal, I see it as https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hashtag-und-At-Ohrstecker-gold-silber-oder-rose-gold/182377294076?hash=item2... ... Do you see that on eBay.de? (Or am I going mad? Entirely possible!)

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I think for EU countries with dual currencies they have the option of choosing the currency they list with.

image host
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I don't - if I search the number in advanced search it comes up with the AUD

@countessalmirena wrote:

lyndal, I see it as https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hashtag-und-At-Ohrstecker-gold-silber-oder-rose-gold/182377294076?hash=item2... ... Do you see that on eBay.de? (Or am I going mad? Entirely possible!)

I don't - if I search the number in advanced search it comes up with the AUD on ebay.com.au (in the kind of preview mode, iykwim) but when I then click on the item it reverts to euros but still on ebay.com.au!

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=182377294076

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hashtag-und-At-Ohrstecker-gold-silber-oder-rose-gold/182377294076?hash=i...

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I have never seen that on an ebay.au listing but I think you are right....you will have to make 2 separate payments in 2 different currencies.

Have you looked to see if he has the German language items listed in Enflish as well.  I have noticed that overseas sellers who list in several currencies usually have the same items in each currency.

Thanks

They seem to be different listings in English compared to German.

I shall leave it till tomorrow and see if it sorts itself - otherwise 2 purchases will be the name of the game. I guess

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply