Quick help re: abuse from seller.

This matter is over, but I would like people to suggest if I did something wrong or I have been misguided.

I won an auction ($10, I was the only bidder, the bid I entered was $120) which titled as:

"Kodak PIXPRO SP360 Action Cam with Aqua Sport Pack"

Discription was:

Kodak PixPro 360

Aqua Pack ,Waterproof Camera mount

This is a complete pack that has never been used

Photos are not clear, it doesn't show the front of packaging. It shows a side of the box which says "Bundled with Aqua Sport Pack."

Q: Should I assume the item is a "Camera + Aqua Sport Pack Camera Mount" or should I assume it's the camera mount only?

Payment methods includes PayPal and COD, pick up only.

I paid by PayPal, then asked to pick up. I knew no one was going to sell a $300 worth of camera for $10, so I was ready and was going to see whatever excuse seller would come up with. Seller said it's cash only (and will refund the PayPal transaction). Then I asked if camera is included, he said no. I said fine, have a nice day, refund please. I was very polite (said good morning, good afternoon, have a nice day and everything) and didn't want any arguments since this is what I expected anyway.

Seller refunded, then sent me a long rude email, acuse me for being stupid. That I expected to buy that camera for $10, not even in China / HongKong would I get that. And called me blind, saying the camera itself was not in the photos. And something else in the line of I was the 1st one he met that can't read. Over the phone, the dude sounded angry that he will not use PayPal for its "~~B*S*~~" fees.

Did I do somthning wrong? What else would I have done to avoid being abused?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Athe item 4channel referred to does appear to be the one you won.  That listing is deceptive, but any member taking a close look at the listing would question whether the camera was included.

The title makes one think that a camera is included, but the pics are clear enough for me to know that a camera was not included.

The way the seller has formatted their description isn’t great.

6C0DDCE9-EFC9-4F1A-AD39-E5FE78EDFF48.jpeg

The first line should not have been as it is, it should have been “Kodak PixPro 360 Aqua Pack”.

The item specifics are a giveaway that the seller is not including the camera as it shows as an Unbranded/Generic product.  This alone would have had me asking questions prior to bidding.

The seller appears clueless in terms of preparing their listings.  Misleading title, poorly formatted description . . . . . and a rather curious line about PayPal payments being refunded without any statement about buyer having to pay cash when they pick up the item (other than using the oft misused C.O.D. term instead of Cash On Pickup).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@huatao1975 wrote:

This matter is over, but I would like people to suggest if I did something wrong or I have been misguided.

I won an auction ($10, I was the only bidder, the bid I entered was $120) which titled as:

"Kodak PIXPRO SP360 Action Cam with Aqua Sport Pack"

Discription was:

Kodak PixPro 360

Aqua Pack ,Waterproof Camera mount

This is a complete pack that has never been used

Photos are not clear, it doesn't show the front of packaging. It shows a side of the box which says "Bundled with Aqua Sport Pack."

Q: Should I assume the item is a "Camera + Aqua Sport Pack Camera Mount" or should I assume it's the camera mount only?

Payment methods includes PayPal and COD, pick up only.

You're talking about the auction in Bundoora, Victoria right?

The  auction title says "Kodak-PIXPRO-SP360-Action-Cam-with-Aqua-Sport-Pack"
So, you bid on and won a camera with accessories. You are entitled to what you have won fair and square! If the auction attaracted many bids then it could have gone up to $220 or more. $220 or $10, you won and the item should be yours.

@huatao1975 wrote:

I paid by PayPal, then asked to pick up. I knew no one was going to sell a $300 worth of camera for $10, so I was ready and was going to see whatever excuse seller would come up with. Seller said it's cash only (and will refund the PayPal transaction). Then I asked if camera is included, he said no. I said fine, have a nice day, refund please. I was very polite (said good morning, good afternoon, have a nice day and everything) and didn't want any arguments since this is what I expected anyway.

Seller refunded, then sent me a long rude email, acuse me for being stupid. That I expected to buy that camera for $10, not even in China / HongKong would I get that. And called me blind, saying the camera itself was not in the photos. And something else in the line of I was the 1st one he met that can't read. Over the phone, the dude sounded angry that he will not use PayPal for its "~~B*S*~~" fees.

Did I do somthning wrong? What else would I have done to avoid being abused?

Thank you.

Seller should honour the auction. Let you have what you won. They have a rating of over 1800 and there have been at least 355 selling transactions in the last 12 months. They know what they are doing and the risk of putting an item at a low starting bid of $10. That's the risk a seller takes.

Yeah, you have done something wrong. You're questioning yourself when you have been too nice about the whole thing!

Seller hasn't been straight with you!

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

What else would I have done to avoid being abused?

Nothing, there are simply some right ol tools out there.

If you were in doubt that the listing included a camera, perhaps asking before bidding is the ticket for next time. Smiley Wink

And cash on a pick up item is always best for both buyer n seller.

image host
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

The item was listed under camera accessories (not cameras)....but no need for abuse!
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
The item was listed under camera accessories (not cameras)....but no need for abuse!

Hi twyngwyn, the problem is that the title for the auction was "Kodak-PIXPRO-SP360-Action-Cam-with-Aqua-Sport-Pack". And huatao1975 would think they are bidding on a camera. What if the auction attracted $220 worth of bids, what does the winner get?? Just a tripod?  The question here is this  .....  Is the auction deliberately misleading?

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Athe item 4channel referred to does appear to be the one you won.  That listing is deceptive, but any member taking a close look at the listing would question whether the camera was included.

The title makes one think that a camera is included, but the pics are clear enough for me to know that a camera was not included.

The way the seller has formatted their description isn’t great.

6C0DDCE9-EFC9-4F1A-AD39-E5FE78EDFF48.jpeg

The first line should not have been as it is, it should have been “Kodak PixPro 360 Aqua Pack”.

The item specifics are a giveaway that the seller is not including the camera as it shows as an Unbranded/Generic product.  This alone would have had me asking questions prior to bidding.

The seller appears clueless in terms of preparing their listings.  Misleading title, poorly formatted description . . . . . and a rather curious line about PayPal payments being refunded without any statement about buyer having to pay cash when they pick up the item (other than using the oft misused C.O.D. term instead of Cash On Pickup).

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I think he should have left out the word 'with' in the title
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

When I read the listing there is no way I would think a camera is included.     There are several photos of the packaging and the contents - all the contents are laid out and photographed - the item is listed under camera accessories.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for your inputs. It cleared my head a bit. If listing is deceptive or title contradicts with description / pictures, ask first. And pay attention to listing categories.

Lesson learned.

I don't blame seller. He refunded me quickly enough. He might have troubles putting together good listing discriptions.

Thanks again everyone.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

As k1ooo-slr-sales stated, the listing is deceptive. Sometimes this is deliberately done to get the potential buyer excited, thinking "Wow, this is a steal". Then they zap a bid on it and then afterwards they read the auction and they see they are only bidding on an accessory.

I have been mislead a few times. Sometimes you have to click on description to see what you're actually bidding on / buying.

I once zapped on a buy it now for some Dick Smith dvd paper sleeves. There were 2 in the picture but I only got 1 pack of 100 delivered. I went back to read the print on the page and it only said one, but it had it in a place on the page where it was not obvious. The seller was misleading to use a picture of two.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply