Received damaged item and seller says it's my fault.

I bought a PC. When I unpacked it I found it was damaged to the extent that it was rocking on the table because the whole

unit was twisted and one corner was obviously impacted badly. Looking at the carton there was a crushing in one corner.

Anyway I requested a return and the seller has essentially said...

"You didn't select insurance when paying so stiff cheddar"

Is this right ? 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

No, it is not right.

If the seller wanted insurance n the item he should have listed it with insurance included in the postage.

If the seller is not being helpful just open a dispute for item not as described.  You will get a refund and the seller should pay for the return postage if he wants it back.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Yes,  that's what I was thinking.

I opened a dispute then a short while later recieved at message that the

return had been accepted.

Next thing I know the seller messages saying the 'Accept return' button was

pressed by mistake and that they have called ebay and advised them that there

is no return in this case.

In 10 years of ebay buying this is a first for me.

Guess I will now have to call ebay.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Bad luck for the seller, once that button is pressed it cannot be reversed, according to Ebay when I did the same thing as seller once. They accepted the return, tough. If Ebay reverse that, they are hypocryts, and are just favoring a big seller.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Just back from live chat. Looks like I will have to ask ebay to step in on the 18th if the seller doesn't play fairly.

I do feel bad for the seller but it's them or me.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

The onus is on the seller to pack the goods adequately. If it is expensive, the onus is on the seller to insure it. I always build the cost of insurance into anything worth more than $50. The buyer doesn't get the option if they want to purchase from me. Which is as it should be - insurance is for the seller's protection. Even then, if it is inadequately packaged (according to the carrier) insurance won't be paid out.

You bought a PC. As it arrived damaged, that is down to the seller and/or Australia Post/courier.

Don't feel for the seller. As soon as they provide you with return postage, return it.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@dontmissthese wrote:

Just back from live chat. Looks like I will have to ask ebay to step in on the 18th if the seller doesn't play fairly.

Hi td-2958, due to the attitude of this seller, it's best to demand the return post cost first as per davewill's suggestion. So before returning it, make sure you ask for the refund of what you paid to have the item sent to you as well as cost of the item.  I have been caught a couple of times and been out of pocket with the retun post. A  few years ago, a former associate of mine was out of pocket $70 as the amplifer (Hi-Fi Reciever)  he won had a blown channel and the seller did a cunning wire-up to make it seem like it was working. Seller only refunded the cost of the item, not  the shipping to him or the return.

Your seller could fall into the category of one of those who is an OK seller but f they make a stuff-up, they refuse to take responsibilty for their stuff up.

Good luck with it. I hope things work out for you.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Send the a seller a message (not via the dispute) along the lines of  " you accepted the return, STIFF CHEDDAR!" Haha

I wouldnt feel "bad" for the seller. He showed no respect when you told him it arrived damaged, which is really his fault for not packing it adequately.  Take pics of the crushed packaging if you still have it. 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@dontmissthese wrote:

Don't feel too sorry for the seller, your item got damaged.

In every case where this has happened to me (a couple of times on another buying site), there has been no hesitation in providing a return postage label once I showed them the photos. In one case it was broken glass & i was immediately given a refund without having to return it.

By the sounds of it though, your seller is not at all inclined to do this for you & so I think you need to do everything by the book, through ebay. On no account withdraw your official claim, no matter what the seller promises. If ebay has to step in, so be it.

It's not over till you get your money back.

PS if the seller is in Aust, and it sounds as if he is, then he can provide you with a return shipping label, if he says you pay for return shipping, you ask for the label otherwise as 4channel says, you might find yourself out of pocket.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Springy, it is actually illegal to send broken glass and china through the mail.   Even if the seller did want it back you could not send it legally. 

I have always thought  ebay was skating on thin ice with their insistence that broken china had to be returned to get a refund.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply