SCAMMED WITH A FAKE REFUND PROCEDURE THROUGH THE EBAY RESOLUTION CENTER

Recently I opened a case against a seller for not receiveing the item I paid for. The item was not delivered and I opened a case in the eBay resolution centre.

The case was closed and i was awarded a full refund for the item in question. 

However get this, when i received the update email that a refund as issued from ebay,

I checked to see if all was in order and found that the seller faked the refund, by stating that the refund was issued through a Paypal transaction ID. that the seller divulged.

The issue is that the original payment for the item was done through AfterPay not Paypal.

After a lengthy time with Paypal, Paypal confirmed that it was nothing to do with them. That the transaction ID belonged to a "guest account" whatever that means. And that i needed to take it up with AfterPay. Paypal do not want to touch it, although they did confirm my suspicions.

I contacted Afterpay and explained the situation, I also emailed them encapsulated web pages of the evidence. showing how the seller agreed to refund me and that the seller issued a fake refund through Paypal. Afterpay tells me that i should be hearing back from eBay or Paypal regarding the refund. I asked why Paypal? no answer from AfterPay....

Problem is that eBay has already "stated" the refund was made, ebay resolution case closed.

So if you are a seller, and a buyer opens a case against you for a refund, al you have to do is provide a dodgy Paypal Transaction ID and you are done, case closed, the buyer loses. In this case it looks as if i don't get the item or my refund, and the seller gets the item back from a failed delivery from Australia Post.

I reported the seller to eBay for falsely declaring a refund had been issued to me. Now i have to wait. In the meantime the seller has probably bolted, and i have to now report the case to the ACCC to get my money, and report the fraud to the Australian Federal Police. 

I'm really getting sick of eBay pretending they know what they are doing and then you find out that nobody is at the helm, and the whole thing becomes a damned ghost ship. How are these rat criminal sellers slipping through the cracks?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PLEASE READ.

I AM DECLARING THIS THREAD CLOSED. 

The refund was eventually processed and fulfilled within 48 hours.

I think I have eventually found out what is going on here.

Apparently eBay and Paypal have somehow designed and implemented a new way for refunds to be processed from eBay.

either that, or a software programmer made a mistake causing the concern for all involved.

As you know, refunds are generally processed and returned to the original Payment source, when granted through the ebay Resolution Center.

For some reason, the status message that appeared recently after a eBay resolution case has been closed, and refund awarded to the buyer (me) has been instigated, reads "Refunded to Paypal". A transaction ID number was also displayed.

Obviously this is incorrect and should read "Refunded to source via Paypal". My Paypal Identity and Paypal Account information should not have been used without my permission to facilitate this transaction. That is, if Paypal really has anything to do with it, and somehow in their policies it is permitted. i am currently perusing the Paypal Policy to verify this information.

You can see how this would raise a lot of red flags for the refunded buyer.

Furthermore, Paypal is not very helpful, and will not divulge any information regarding the transaction other than it was instigated through a "Guest Account" to make it seem even more ominous. That places an even more unethical air to the whole matter, since  it was my Paypal Identity directly that was used, and my Paypal Account information implicated and also used.

I expressed my concerns to Paypal as to the action taken on their behalf, and asked why was my Paypal identity and Paypal Account information even used to facilitate this transaction without my permission? And why was i even informed of the superflous information?

Paypal has not yet responded.

AfterPay however, was helpful enough to provide some information.

AfterPay told me that in this situation, the confusion was caused by the implementation of the "Open Credit Card Platform".

They are working to get it changed.

My guess is that the OCCP, is some form of "platform" where financial institutions may carry out transactions through this common gateway. 

Due to the nature of my investigations, i consider this thread closed and fulfilled.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Good to know

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I just received another message from that fraudulent seller.

Now he is stating it's a totally different transaction ID with another totally different number, and still claiming it was through Paypal.

I hope that seller gets kicked out of eBay.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

It would also be crazy for eBay to allow it.

It's just not logical.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

PLEASE READ.

I AM DECLARING THIS THREAD CLOSED. 

The refund was eventually processed and fulfilled within 48 hours.

I think I have eventually found out what is going on here.

Apparently eBay and Paypal have somehow designed and implemented a new way for refunds to be processed from eBay.

either that, or a software programmer made a mistake causing the concern for all involved.

As you know, refunds are generally processed and returned to the original Payment source, when granted through the ebay Resolution Center.

For some reason, the status message that appeared recently after a eBay resolution case has been closed, and refund awarded to the buyer (me) has been instigated, reads "Refunded to Paypal". A transaction ID number was also displayed.

Obviously this is incorrect and should read "Refunded to source via Paypal". My Paypal Identity and Paypal Account information should not have been used without my permission to facilitate this transaction. That is, if Paypal really has anything to do with it, and somehow in their policies it is permitted. i am currently perusing the Paypal Policy to verify this information.

You can see how this would raise a lot of red flags for the refunded buyer.

Furthermore, Paypal is not very helpful, and will not divulge any information regarding the transaction other than it was instigated through a "Guest Account" to make it seem even more ominous. That places an even more unethical air to the whole matter, since  it was my Paypal Identity directly that was used, and my Paypal Account information implicated and also used.

I expressed my concerns to Paypal as to the action taken on their behalf, and asked why was my Paypal identity and Paypal Account information even used to facilitate this transaction without my permission? And why was i even informed of the superflous information?

Paypal has not yet responded.

AfterPay however, was helpful enough to provide some information.

AfterPay told me that in this situation, the confusion was caused by the implementation of the "Open Credit Card Platform".

They are working to get it changed.

My guess is that the OCCP, is some form of "platform" where financial institutions may carry out transactions through this common gateway. 

Due to the nature of my investigations, i consider this thread closed and fulfilled.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

You have no authority to declare any thread closed.....not even if you started it.

If other members wish to discuss the information already posted they have every right to do so.

Just for your information, a refund made to paypal has ALWAYSb been returned to the funding source, despite the notification stating it has been returned to paypal.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Funny, for all the burble about fake this, fake that, scammed, and lo and behold = REFUND RECEIVED

Really is silly to jump the gun, and no excuse for slandering 2 corporations even if you don't know how eBay works

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Does not matter what you 'consider'

You are not a mod and have no right to declare a topic as closed

Zero

You want it closed, self report and tell a mod to remove it

Otherwise members are free to comment on it as they choose

Just as you drag up threads other members started a couple of years ago and sprout false information and other nonsense 

Or are you working with eBay to become a mod? 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

You said fraud. You said ACCC. BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Spoiler
Sadly, in this thread, you didn't mention scam.
Spoiler
That would have been the trifecta!
Spoiler
L

Edit: Do you see "moderator" under your name? No, you don't. Therefore, you have no say in what happens to this thread. We may even keep it going for years, to make up for all the dead and buried threads you decided to resurrect.

Oh, and stop using Afterpay. Then you won't have any issues when you demand a refund. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply