SELLER CANCELLED MY PURCHASE BECAUSE THE PRICE WASNT HIGH ENOUGH? is THIS ACCEPTABLE?

The seller listed two pairs of sandals at 99 cents each. I was the only bidder and won them. She then canelled my sale saying that she made a mistake and didnt know that they would go for 99 cents.

This to me is very bad form and I dont understand why ebay allows it. I have been trading for  14 years and have 100 percent positive feedback. So fearing a negative feedback it would seem that I have no recourse.

Other sellers have made similar errors in judgemnt in the past BUT they have all honoured the sale!

If this is acceptable to ebay then something needs to be looked at as no winning bid is safe under those circumstances.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

SELLER CANCELLED MY PURCHASE BECAUSE THE PRICE WASNT HIGH ENOUGH? is THIS ACCEPTABLE?

technically a seller can't "cancel" a sale - although they can refuse to complete the transaction.

did the seller send you a request to cancel the transaction?  in which case you can refuse.

You can leave negative feedback - the seller can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

Not all sellers are like this

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

curraone you are right, the majority of sellers on ebay are excellent, however, this type of action from some sellers seems to be an ever increasing theme on this forum. I personnaly have not had this happen but would most definitely be very peeved if it did. OP follow previous post advise and inform ebay and if you get a cancellation request then deny the request.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

ytwo000
Community Member

this is when a seller deserves a negative.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I still have the alerts with a request to cancel the sales. I have not acted on them. However the ebay message says that if i dont the transaction will be Cancelled anyway. If i insisted on the item i could pay and then they may mysteriously get lost in the mail. So there isnt much one can do really.

So if i give them a negative which they deserve , can they do likewise for me? I have 14 years of positive feedback as either a buyer or seller and naturally i do not wish to jeopardise that.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Naturally, as buyer feedback is so relevant. You are also doubtless aware that sellers haven't been able to leave anything but positive feedback for over 5 years.

If you don't answer the cancellation request, the seller will get their selling fees back. If you agree to the cancellation the seller will get their fees back. If you reject the cancellation request the seller will not get their fees back.

If you are seller as well as a buyer, I would have thought you would have some idea of how the site works.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I have had this happen where I brought two rare items ( Sonic number 1 and 2 ) for a low price, around $20 US for each, and the seller wouldn't put postage on the items, nor reply to messages, even a Ebay message, so yea I had no choice but leave Negative feedback.

BTW because I contacted Ebay about it, if he had posted negative feedback about me, I could get it removed or changed as I had Ebays back on it.

I've also been in the other position where I was the seller ( note New Zealand auction site ) and the buyer told me he couldn't complete the auction because he didn't have the money that week, though I told him we could arange in the next few weeks when he could pay, he never got back ot me.

So I did the same, contacted the Auction site host, told them about it, they sent him a message saying to complete the auction, he didn't so I posted negative feedback.

I suggest if you haven't, contact Ebay and tell them, they will most likely contact the seller and ask him to complete the auction, if he/she doesn't post negative feedback.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@trishz1 wrote:

The seller listed two pairs of sandals at 99 cents each. I was the only bidder and won them. She then canelled my sale saying that she made a mistake and didnt know that they would go for 99 cents.

So she is refusing to honour the contract. eBay cannot force her to honour the contract, it is outside their legal jurisdiction. However, you can report her for non performance (Customer Support tab top right opf screen/Contact us/follow the prompts) and eBay apparently do something in their filing system as she is in breach of the User Agreement. (I spose enough breaches, eBay does something?) User Agreement says she has to send, but bear in mind eBay can't enforce this. To enforce the contract you would need to seek legal action.

This to me is very bad form and I dont understand why ebay allows it. Well, they sort of don't. (see above) but eBay cannot force her to honour the sale. I have been trading for  14 years and have 100 percent positive feedback. So fearing a negative feedback it would seem that I have no recourse. Put her on your Blocked Bidders List so if you sell something she cannot do so in spite and leave a negative. As a buyer, she cannot leave you a negative, so no worries. Sellers cannot leave negs for buyers. If she leaves a negative comment with a positive dot, if you want, ring eBay and they will remove it as it is against their feedback policy to do this.

Other sellers have made similar errors in judgemnt in the past BUT they have all honoured the sale!

Most sellers are terrific.

If this is acceptable to ebay then something needs to be looked at as no winning bid is safe under those circumstances.

It is not acceptable to eBay, but as your contract is with the seller, eBay can't interfere on the transaction per se, so they can't help you to get the thongs, but if you let eBay know, they will/might/could take action with the seller regarding their contract between eBay and the seller. But you will never know,

Now, they're pretty new seller/member, or, with feedback of 3, at least pretty inexp[erienced. So maybe a little compassion as they possibly got caught up in eBay's push to list low to get heaps of bidders.

So just maybe, dig deep and cut sopme slack where you can, eh?

Now, with your feedback, if you want to orate your trading experience, make sure it is factual so as it does not breach policy and thus removeable. Perhaps something like "Seller would not honour sale after I won" (Leave colour dot of choice (not a positive with that comment, only leave that comment if neut or neg)

Make sure they are blocked on your BBL.

However, with 3 feedback, if you do issue them negs, they might just abandon that account and start a new one....

Not your problem, but *shrugs*

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@trishz1 wrote:
I still have the alerts with a request to cancel the sales. I have not acted on them. However the ebay message says that if i dont the transaction will be Cancelled anyway. If i insisted on the item i could pay and then they may mysteriously get lost in the mail. So there isnt much one can do really.
Reject it so she doesn't get her 10c FVF's back LOL

You can pay, if you do so, do it by PayPal. Then if she doesn't send you can raise an INR claim and if she can't supply tracking and proof of lodgement of the parcel, she will lose and you will be refunded

but really, you're not going to get them. By paying you will just be tying up $16 of your money for a few weeks.
Reject the cancellation
Put her on your blocked list
Decide if you want to leave Feedback
Report her to eBay
Find another seller,
So if i give them a negative which they deserve , can they do likewise for me? No, but put her on your BBL in case you sell something and she buys from you out of retaliation. I have 14 years of positive feedback as either a buyer or seller and naturally i do not wish to jeopardise that.

Best of luck with your next transaction

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply