Says local, but the item is in China.

stoph-88
Community Member

Its now getting to the point where you ignore where ebay says the seller is and look at the expected arrival of your item.  So many sellers say they are in Australia but you know full well they are in China.

They sell items by deception and eBay is also well aware of it.  Trust is now non existant as these lies are obvious.  How many times have you bought something here and it doesn't get posted for 7 to 10 days?  Slow to post?  Slow Auspost?  No, the seller has ordered what you ordered from his cousin in China or the seller is in fact in China and pretending to be in Australia.  Ebay is an accomplice to this deception and should be boycotted just like China should be.  If its poor quality, sold by deception and designed to cheat Western people, its most likely of Chinese manufacture and sold through places where recourse to justice is limited, like ebay.   Shame on thieves and their accomplices.  Ebay aid and abet thieves, therefore they are also thieves.  

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stoph-88
Community Member

Thanks to all the sensible replies, good to see you are also wise to ebay scams and the scammers they enable for profit.

To the rest of you, enjoy your ignorance.   The long term outlook might not be as good, but you will have no need for critical thought and the effort it requires.  

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

As has been the case for many, many years , you check where the seller is registered before buying and what their feedback is like

Could not be more simple

Sadly, far too many buyers are all to happy to support bad sellers because they do not care who they are buying from and then blame someone else for their bad choices 

Such buyers are also the ones who keep such sellers in business

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

That would be all fine if ebay did not allow sellers to lie about their true location or where their for sale items are located.  There are plenty of Chinese sellers who claim their items to be in Australia,  but they are definitely not.   There are a few ways to tell if the item is where they claim it to be.

1.  The expected arrival of the item is typically a week or two later than you would expect the item to arrive.  This allows time for the item to come from China and be reposted here.  

2. The seller sends unsolicited messages about shipping, apologising in advance for expected late delivery.

3. The seller is unaturally friendly and calls you "Dear friend" 

4. The seller offers you a part refund if you keep quiet about their behaviour. 

Ebay will censor you if you try to send contact details, but they turn a blind eye to the deceptive business practises of the Chinese.  Ebay must take a full share of the blame for deception which has now become commonplace.   Smart shoppers should look to etsy or other platforms that are not as corrupt as Ebay.  

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

You have to go to the feedback page to see where the seller is registered/ the location of the seller (rather than the alleged location of the item).

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

And I suppose sellers always tell the truth about where they are?!  AND Ebay gives a sh*t about hosting deceptive but lucrative sellers!  

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

You are more than welcome to post an item number, that is allowed on the forum

I would be interested to see the item numbers for where it says the *seller* is registered here when they are really registered in China

I am not going to say I have seen a seller's feedback page show they are registered in Australia when what it says is they are registered in China

Nor am I talking about sellers who are drop shipping (for which the ETA of the item would be a dead giveaway) which is another issue rather than what we are saying about where the seller is registered 

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

This is simply a heads up, be wise to ebay and the deceptive vendors they enable.  Ebay are no better than the crooks they provide this platform for.  My tip: go elsewhere to shop.  

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

@stoph-88 wrote:

My tip: go elsewhere to shop.  

I've been buying from eBay sellers for well over 10 years now and it didn't take me very long at all to learn how easy it was to weed out dodgy sellers. Usually a couple of clicks of the mouse gives you the information that allows you to filter them out.

With over 4,500 transactions during that time I've only had a handful of them that have not gone well, due I suspect to practicing due diligence with my purchases, that applies not just with eBay but with all my transactions, on and off line.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

For me it's mainly feedback, where a seller is registered, whether a seller is using their own photos or stock photos, too good to be true...

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

@stoph-88 wrote:

And I suppose sellers always tell the truth about where they are?!  AND Ebay gives a sh*t about hosting deceptive but lucrative sellers!  

Not possible to lie on this one.

The account is registered where they are and requires a local bank account.

Check the feedback page for account registration and other feedback about slow shipping like already suggested. It's not that hard.

image host
Message 10 of 37
Latest reply