Seller Has "Make Offer" In Ad, But Takes 24 Hours To Reply. BAD FOR BUYER

Why don't sellers us the automated reply to, "Make Offer".

They must know their bottom line before listing the sale with the make an offer in the listing

These sellers are just time wasting numpties.

50 OF THE ITEM FOR SALE, AND SELLER HAS BARELY SOLD ANY OF THEM, THEN THE SELLER WANTS TO WASTE 24 HOURS OF MY TIME.

Useless seller!!!

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Or even better, eBay rejigs the system, so when a buyer makes an offer, the reply is instant.

The buyer can then buy the item if the offer is accepted, OR move on and buy the item from the next seller .

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

No rejig required if the seller has auto-accept or -decline set.

As far as wasting 24 hours, maybe tyou should make a reasonable offer in the first place. And a day isn't usually an issue for those looking for a bargain or older than the instant gratification generations.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

The buyer may want to see if they get a range of offers.

Or you are making bottom of the barrel offers, in which case you don't deserve a quick reply if at all

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@garyozboy wrote:

Why don't sellers us the automated reply to, "Make Offer".

They must know their bottom line before listing the sale with the make an offer in the listing

These sellers are just time wasting numpties.

50 OF THE ITEM FOR SALE, AND SELLER HAS BARELY SOLD ANY OF THEM, THEN THE SELLER WANTS TO WASTE 24 HOURS OF MY TIME.

Useless seller!!!

Just a couple of main points here and I know the facts for #2 are pretty well right as I made an offer on an item last Thursday.

1. Some sellers do have automated systems in place where any offers under their certain set amount are instantly rejected. Offers above that are accepted. From memory, some sellers can also have a no man's land between the two prices where offers are submitted for the seller's manual decision. 

I agree with you that an automated reply is the best way to go as far as a lot of buyers are concerned. They like to know if the offer is accepted or not. 

But sometimes it is worth the wait, especially if it isn't something urgent you are buying.

2. This is the part that probably would be most useful to you. When you make an offer, you get a choice, a tick the box, where you can choose how long your offer will last for. The default time is set at 24 hours.

However, you can change that ticked box to either 12 hours or 48 hours. In future, change your offer time to 12 hours if time is of the essence to you. If you're going to use that option though, I'd tend to make the offer first thing in the morning. If you made it at eg 8pm at night, it would be expiring at 8am next morning and some sellers might not get a chance to see it.

But 12 hours or 24 hours (or even 48 hours) the choice is yours.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Hey Springy

Yes there is a no mans land.

For a 100.00 item you could set any offer over say $80 as auto accept,  or any under say $60 auto reject.    So anything between 60 and 80 I get to decide if I want to take it or not.

In my case if it's the first offer I would never say yes to anything around the 60,  but may eventually.   My decision on anything in no mans land could depend on feedback the buyer has,  number of offers,  the weather or just the time of the day.   Or of course I could counter offer as well

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks, sugar249

Most things I buy are buy it now set price these days but any time I have made an offer over the last few years, I have usually found the seller gets back to me in reasonable time. For instance on Thursday, I made the offer about 7.45am and the seller had accepted and I had paid not long after 9am. (I had the offer time as 24 hours)

So I don't think buyers these days are normally left waiting too long. I don't see that the reply time is usually a problem at all. 

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

@garyozboy wrote:

Useless seller!!!

Are you serious?

Did you spend the whole 24 hours at your computer or staring at your phone screen waiting for a response? If so, that's not on the seller.

People now being accessible practically 24-7 does not mean available  24-7. 

Others have already covered some of the reasons why auto-accept is not always useful for the seller, plus if you include a message with the offer, it cancels out any auto-accept the seller has in place anyway (just for future reference, in case it's applicable and / or comes in handy). 

If you don't want to dilly-dally around with sellers and offers, just buy the items - by the tone of your post here, I'm assuming your wasted 24 hours was more valuable than the discount you were angling for, no? 

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Useless seller?

Really?

All I see is a self entitled buyer stamping their foot and demanding others do as they want at once 

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Often the "offer" being accepted is dependant on the potential buyer also making offers on seller's other companion items.  It is impossible (or nearly) to set the auto accept if that is the case.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 10 of 28
Latest reply