Seller Location from where the product is coming from

Can ebay look at having the Sellers put their true location of where they are selling the product. I live in Melbourne, I just purchased an item as the location said it was Sydney yet it will take up to 20 days to get to me? How so, when I can drive to Sydney in 8-10 hours, then the product is coming from overseas.  Does consumer law come into this at any point?  I specifically look at location when I make my purchases and I don't like to lied to.  I have reached out to the selle for a please explain why so long to get to Melbourne turn around should be 3 days a week max, as per my last ebay purchases from Sydney I got it in 3 days.  False advertising annoys me.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You would need to ask eBay

Or better still, look where the seller is registered before you bid

This seller you bought off, are THEY registered in Australia or overseas?

Are they registered in China with a lot of negs saying they lie about the items they sell being sent from Australia?

What did it say the estimated delivery date was on the listing before you bought the item

I m not going to go into the time it takes to drive from one state to another Vs how long the mail takes to travel the same distance ,apples and oranges 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Easy fix.

Look where the seller is registered. It's on the same page as the feedback, which you naturally checked. If the seller isn't in Australia, the item likely isn't either.

HOWEVER, a lot of Australian sellers have extended their postage times to allow for COVID-19 related postage delays, and unreasonable expectations from buyers that it shouldn't impact them. Maybe your seller hasn't reset. Understandable, given there will be a massive spike in postage in the next couple of weeks.

eBay neither read nor respond to board posts, so your complaint will only be seen by other members.

You have the tools.

Edit: Snap sandy

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

It is a constant problem that comes up on these boards, buyers complaining that an item listed as from Australia came from overseas.

Ebay must know of it but they have chosen to do nothing about it to this point, so don't hold your breath waiting for changes.

You're not talking to ebay here, we're not ebay reps, so we can't actually make changes and I don't know that ebay even wants to receive unsolicited suggestions from customers.

A partial fix would be if the actual ad itself showed seller location. That at least could get buyers wondering, if they saw an item in Sydney, seller in China or wherever and a month delivery window. 

You, as the customer, will need to do a quick check before buying. If you open an ad and like the product, click on the seller's feedback number. That will take you to a feedback page where you can do a quick scan of comments and at the top you will see it will show the seller location. But be aware that some overseas sellers do have warehouses here so the location detail may not be a lie.

Your overall best bet when you look at a product is to look at the delivery date range. When you bought your item, you would have seen it was up to a 20 day wait. That information would have been clearly stated in the ad. It is possible a local seller might extend postage times at the moment but a 20 day wait should have given you pause and next step when that happens is to check feedback & seller location, even if it does mean a couple more clicks.

Basically though, if you are not happy with a 20 day wait, don't buy from the seller. I don't like false advertising either, it annoys me, but it is best to avoid buying from those sellers in the first place. If a seller lied about item location, I doubt you'll get an honest reply as to the 20 day wait anyway. They will either ignore you or reply about 'handling time'.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply