Seller States in Sydney - actual location china

so i brought an item - clearly selection Australian only, sellers page says located in Sydney - with ships fast aupost.

Wondering why this hasn't arrived. checked item then seller - location of item sydney - location of seller China

Can I report this anywhere ?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Postage:
FREE Standard postage
Located in: Sydney, Australia

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Can you report it? Yes. Item location misrepresentation.

Will anything happen? No. Chinese are protected species.

Can you avoid this in the future? Yes. Check sellers' country of registration BEFORE buying. Whilst some Chinese sellers have stock in warehouses in Australia, most don't.

You've been a member for nearly NINE years! Is this the first time this has happened?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

It's rife on ebay. And it seems they're protected. 😞

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@andrew.jinghui.rowe

I would always assume that an item listed by a seller registered in China is actually in China, irrespective of whatever the item location information says.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Very easily avoided

check feedback before buying

Leave feedback if you buy without looking

ThT information was available before you bought

Item location in the ‘tick box’  is meaningless 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@andrew.rowe wrote:

so i brought an item - clearly selection Australian only, sellers page says located in Sydney - with ships fast aupost.

Wondering why this hasn't arrived. checked item then seller - location of item sydney - location of seller China

Can I report this anywhere ?

You can't report it anywhere as such because it is allowed on ebay. Sellers who are overseas are allowed to list items that may be in a warehouse here. The thing is, if it arrives and has been posted from China, then you could report location misrepresentation.

I'd bet my bottom dollar it is coming from China, but it could be repackaged here and sent via Auspost.

This goes on a lot on ebay, where buyers are under the impression they are purchasing from an Australian based seller because of item location. I've said for years that seller location should be on that initial opening page, next to seller ID, no buyer should have to go clicking links to uncover seller location.

You mentioned you were wondering why it hasn't arrived. Do you mean it is overdue, past the estimated arrival date window? Go straight into an item not received claim then.

The ads don't show seller lcoation but these days, there is an estimated arrival date. If it is supposedly in Aust but delivery is more than 10 days away, be suspicious.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply