Seller advertised item as 2x, then changed the listing and sent 1 after purchase

Hi everyone, 

I bought an item listed as 2 x XXXXX, unopened and as new.

The description also began with 2 x units. Today I received the order, which only had 1 unit.

I can see that a day after I ordered, the seller revised the title and description of the item, removing the '2x'

They have clearly scammed me. So far I haven't received a response, but any ideas what I can do?

I can see the option to select 'item not as described', but it says it will lead to a refund.

I want the other unit, or at least have this seller banned if they don't. 

They are bulky items so there will be a hassle in sending the one I received back

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Seller advertised item as 2x, then changed the listing and sent 1 after purchase

what is the item number?
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I want free alcohol & a new Harley.

Just like you wanting the seller to be banned we will both be disappointed.

You should open a Case For Item Not As Described.

Ther are two ways you will receive a refund.

1. If the seller accepts the return you send the item back..."hassle"or not.

2. If the seller fails to accept the return & you receive a refund without return.

As the other poster asked ...what is the item#?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

Sounds like it was possibly an inexperienced seller who doesn't know how to list with quantities - they had two, now they have one

What is the item number?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Even though they may have changed the listing after you bought it, you can still see the original listing you bought from in the My ebay section.

I'm thinking cezm has probably hit on the right explanation and it is a seller who is inexperienced and had 2, then changed the ad after you bought one. He meant the price to be per item. I've seen this same sort of thing happen on marketplace where sellers don't always make their intentions clear in an ad. That doesn't change the fact the ad was very misleading and you are entitled to file a claim for item not as described. If you follow through on that, you are very likely to have your money refunded. If the seller is in Aust, he will probably issue a label so you don't pay return postage. Or he should.

I suspect a refund is your very best scenario because it is obvious the seller will not be supplying the other item. 

You probably won't manage to get him banned over one incident but I have read that sellers who accumulate a few bad transactions can have their account affected. The selelrs could probably tell you more on that score.

So open an ebay claim and you can also leave feedback but read up on the feedback rules first.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@desley12345 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I bought an item listed as 2 x XXXXX, unopened and as new.

The description also began with 2 x units. Today I received the order, which only had 1 unit.

I can see that a day after I ordered, the seller revised the title and description of the item, removing the '2x'

They have clearly scammed me. So far I haven't received a response, but any ideas what I can do?

I can see the option to select 'item not as described', but it says it will lead to a refund.

I want the other unit, or at least have this seller banned if they don't. 

They are bulky items so there will be a hassle in sending the one I received back

Hi, I agree with you here. My apologies for not saying I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I am not without sympathy. It's just that I may get attacked here by some for saying "I'm sorry to hear of your situation". This is because of some people who try to make out I'm always on the side of the buyer no matter what!

Short and simple. Your decision to buy was based on what you were led to believe the auction was all about. Having worked in sales I can tell you that the correct and accepted practice is to honour a quote even a low one!

Your case is even more strong than that as you have entered into a transaction for two items as advertised and have received only one. If the seller had realised that they had made a mistake, they should have contacted you around the same time they revised their listing or before you received item.. Have they done that?

About 3 or 4 years ago I bought something, thinking I was getting two. The picture in the listing showed two items. They were 2 identical discontinued Dick Smith items. Seller was just a seller of all sorts of stuff, second hand etc.. When I got the package straight away I noticed it was too small to be two and opening up I was annoyed, Well I went back to have a look at the listing and in a not so obvious place, the listing said only one. Was it misleading? I believe it was. Thinking back now I should have put in a PayPal claim but I was feeling lazy at the time. Maybe I could have won!

Your case is much stronger than mine was. Whether intentional or accidental, you didn't get what you paid for and you should get what you paid for! I hope you and seller can work something out. You deserve it!

BTW: the post by springyzone is a good guide and if you leave feedback, please be sure to leave it factual without any emotion or too much pizzazz as eBay can remove it. (Not always fair)

Best wishes in obtaining a favourable outcome!

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply